Charcoal Filter Solenoid Hose connection

waveform2

* J e d i *
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi all,

Noticed a little puttering noise above the air box yesterday so removed the air box cover and the charcoal filiier solenoid white connector at the end of the hose has snapped and is leaking. as far as im aware that solenoid reverts excessive fuel fumes back to the tank for bresthing/environmental purposes, so im not sure how important it is but anyway anyone know the best way to fix? can i buy a new hose + connector if the old snapped bit will come out? Also an explenation of its proper purpose would also be nice for my feel good factor! :)

Tia

Regards

Derek

I know what you mean exactly. I broke the same thing when I stripped out the airbox.
they are made from very brittle plastic
You can replace them..or do what I did. Get some araldite or similar epoxy resin. take the unit off and the broken end out (careful not to shatter it) I used a thin wire (coat hanger) with a bent end to hook it out.

clean and roughen the outer surfaces and then build up a good layer of resin over the top of the crack when the pieces are back together.
I did this a couple of times as the first time I did it it broke again.

will post a pic of mine if you want

I had the exact same problem last year not long after buying the car. I got aonther one from the breakers.
It is part of the vacum/air pressure system so it possible drops psi to the turbo if there is a leak. I used to stall a lot before I located this problem so I would imagine it made the fuel too lean.
Its a simple fix though and the part only cost me a few euros.

There is only one nagging problem that I have yet to sort out and I have posted here a few times about itI know its not related to this problem sorry about that.
Basically its to do with the dash display not showing doors being open (it will show that the boot lid is open however).
The interior lights come on and it will make the buzz noise if you open the door while lights are on and car is switched off.
In theory I have narrowed it down to a relay but dont know which one and also I dont know how to test the relay if I do find it.

When I got the car first it would on the rare occassion show a door open in the display but only for a brief second and then would no longer register an open door.
I would love to sort this out not just for my kids safety but also for peace of mind and to have the car doing all the things its meant to be doing.
So if anyone knows anything about this please tell me more!!!

Thanx guys and no way macattax mine also does that!!!!! Boot shows but no doors lol how bizzare is that, so the fix? :)

I called vagparts and the new valve unit complete is 46 quid, 5 quid for hose and 49p for hose clips but i will try the DIY method first!

Cheers

Derek

OOOh another member with door open not showing on the dash that now makes 3 ppl on here that have same problem!
The fix? Finding out which relay controls this module and replacing it I guess but I still dont know which one it is for sure. Also dont know where to buy relays.

Woah vag parts is expensive, just go to the breakers yard like I did.

Found the same thing broken on mine, sounds a little common! Good old araldite on mine for mo and it's been that way for a couple of months now and no probs, and after hearing the price of a new one that's the way it'll stay for now!

I replaced mine from a breakers. 3 pounds plus VAT. They're over 80 quid from Audi and apparently they're on 4 weeks back order....