Fuel sender unit faulty

2.8Q 254BHP

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my car developed a fuel leek. Found it to be at the seal for the first fuel filter. Since repairing it, the fuel gauge has a mind of its own. Never gives me a true reading. I know that it is the fuel sender unit that sits at the top of the fuel tank. Does anyone know if it is just a question of cleaning it or having to replace it. If someone knows about this issue and knows what to do or have done it, could they kindly post some pictures or give a detailed description. Found some pictures a few weeks ago of someone who had done it but as usual computer crashed.

This was the exact site that I found. Thank you so much, once I get a sunny day might attempt it.

I have exactly the same problem lol

'BEEEEEEEEEEP' every few minutes,.....even when half full.

Mine threw a bit of a wobbler the other week - basically it went like this:

1. Fuel guage ok, temperature flap on the climate stuck, car tries to bake me alive (just glad it's winter and not a bit warmer).
2. Temperature flap sorts itself, fuel guage throws a wobbler (both actions simultaneous). Thw fuel guage told lies for about a week or so until...
3. Fuel guage starts working ok, temperature flap sticks. Again.

It eventually sorted itself out on both counts but I'm just waiting for some other, totally unconnected problems to pop up like indicate right, passenger window opens...