Turbo Melted... Stage 2 in progress and more!

Andy.B

Reaction score
Two weekends ago my ol Ko3 decided to give up and die in a rather un-spactacular way. I started the engine from cold and as far as i can tell the bearing collapsed.

As i said in a early post i was thinking of building a large turbo conversion on the cheep around the £600 all in price bracket..... Well seeing as the turbo melted it was the kick up the *** i needed to get the project going.

Around the time of my last post i found a suitable turbo:

Its a T25/28 hybrid, 28 compressor with a 25 exhaust.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/Andy.B/Audi/DSC00080.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/Andy.B/Audi/DSC00081.jpg

Then i was deciding on a manifold to carry this nice bigger turbo. Then after a post by Billybravo and his KO series manifold from THS i looked on the THS site and they do a T25 footprint manifold for the A4 with external waste gate option :arco: So being me i looked around ebay and found THS have an online store and were selling them at £110 but i got it for £90 :icon_thumright:

And together:

So now i need to get out and rip the car apart.. to see what else i need ill keep the thread updated on how its going.

Oh and compleatly non related:

Looki what i bought off ebay very very very very very cheeply:

These are only the front seats but i have the whole interior inc center consol and other trim parts.

TTFN:hi:

That a goods deal andy can you send me the link mate??

any pics??

I'm fitting a GT28rs and need a manifold with the T25 flange

very nice mate, how much did the seats cost outa interest?

Cheers andy how far out does the manifold put the turbo?? i'm curios of the room left under the bonnet for MAF and filter bits.

Biglockie said:
Cheers andy how far out does the manifold put the turbo?? i'm curios of the room left under the bonnet for MAF and filter bits.

Err dunno yet, the weekend will see a trial fit of the manifold and turbo, im assuming that seeing as the manifold was ment for a longitudinal car with a T25 in theory it should fit. I had a measure up today and it looks tight but it has enough room for movement. If there is enough room free then the external wastegate will be used to.

The interior was a super bargain.... i got the lot for peanuts as the guy didn't know what he had, i got it for £250. (I was very lucky) This interior usually goes for £1000 upwards. Already been offered £1300 for it :faint:

Sweet, the interior is tidy fella.

Keep me posted with the fitting Andy

Lockie

Thanks for the info on the leathers! please post some before and after pics of your car when they are fitted.

I have been on the lookout for my black a4, not sure of the best colour but would love some black s4 recaros.

Andy.B said:
The interior was a super bargain.... i got the lot for peanuts as the guy didn't know what he had, i got it for £250. (I was very lucky) This interior usually goes for £1000 upwards. Already been offered £1300 for it :faint:
Defo a monster bargain you've got there, but judging by the condition of the leather, I wouldn't expect to pay more than £500 for them.

If you've been offered £1300 for them... bite their arm off!
You could pay for all the engine parts and get another set of Recaros for that.

ps. Get yourself some Gliptone 'Liquid Leather' to clean them up.

I have seen quite a few sets go for under 300 but one set was a maroon brown and I wasn't too keen on it, but it went for 150

Layerz said:
I have seen quite a few sets go for under 300 but one set was a maroon brown and I wasn't too keen on it, but it went for 150

Maroon brown Recaros?

Id love to see where you have seen a full interior set of electric recaros sub £300. I have never seen a set go for less than £900. Where do you get them from at that price??

The leather is in tip top condition to no markes rips scuffs or cracks. Thats only a before pic of when i picked them up, the one in the pic on the left is now gleaming as its had 7 layers of conditioner put on it after a thourough clean with leather cleaner. There is such a difference in the two side by side now :) Once the fronts are done then the rear bench and door cards need to be done.

Turbo is getting there the old one is now off just got to get the old oil feed pipe off and get a different one made up aswell as the drain, water feeds are blocked off to, that was a nice an easy job.

Hopefully the trial fit will go on mid week this week, then ill make it permenent once i get the oil pipes made up.

Billy i'll find that post and sort you out :icon_thumright:

Right update, manifold its back from the engineers, drilled and taped out to M10 bolts and the external wastegate flange is blocked off at the moment. The custom oil line has been made and looks very swish and profesional, thanks to the guys at Abbey Hose for the custom one off. Had to 'clock' the turbo 180 degrees to get everything lined up so the flow and return were the right way up. :icon_thumright:
Another mock fitting will commense tomorrow so i can get the exact position for the oil drain hose then its off to Abbey Hose again for another custom hose to be made.
Then hopefully i will have everything i need to get it all back together and started. Pixs of clearences and work so far tomorrow

Pictures!!!

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

Nice :) that turbo looks huge in that last photo its going to be a monster

Seats have kinda taken a back seat (excuse the pun) until the turbo is fitted and running as i really need the car back on the road asap.

Once its all in ill start on the seats. BTW does anyone know how to get the 60/40 seats in the fixed back or is it a case of bolting the 60/40's in and welding some catches onto the back plate?

The T25/28 is almost 2x the size of the ol KO3... ill get a pic to show the size difference. IMO audi should have but a bigger blower on the 1.8T engine as standard. I came from the Ford scene and my old fiesta which was a 1.8 had a stage 3 T3 on it (and that was small in most peoples eyes).

Chears for the comments :icon_thumright: Just gotta work out an induction route now :think:

Andy.B said:
Once its all in ill start on the seats. BTW does anyone know how to get the 60/40 seats in the fixed back or is it a case of bolting the 60/40's in and welding some catches onto the back plate?

:
The rear firewall needs to be cut, or as i am gonna do removed by drilling the spotwelds out, then brackets and catches purchased and fitted.

A few of them will need to be fitted to a bracket to make it line up correctly. I bought a nutsert gun to mount the brackets on, and may make the bracket for the lower wheel arch pins/mounts to allow them to line up properly.

I have it mostly planned out,but havnt had time to do it yet

The seat bases have the hinges on them, just the top catches are not there can you buy them? Are there any guides on the net about doing this.

The centre hinge may be there, but you wont have the wheel arch mounts which are tapered pins that the seat mounts onto, then it drops into the centre hinge.
All of the parts can be bought,as i bought them all, i will get you the part number if you want.

At least some of the firwall will need to come out as the headrest mounts for your current setup is attached to the forewall. Also the centre hing wont sit right with the firewall in place.

That would be cool if you could get the part numbers, would speed things up a bit :)