Steering Whining Noise

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 1.8T Sport V (facelift) model, i noticed this morning when i was turning the steering wheel it was making a strange whining noise, which also came when i was driving sort of from the front end of the car...if that makes sense, any ideas??

Could it have something to do with the PAS??

Thanks in advance

Nilz

OK will try that, thanks alot :)

I checked the fluid bottle and it was nearly empty, i have checked for any leaks and its dry as a bone!!!

Any ideas why it would have gone down so much??

Also which one would be best to refill it with, just one from ECP, GSF or from Audi??

Audi or VW - £7 for a litre bottle, do not use anything else.
Top it up and keep an eye on it

Ok check the pipe coming off the bottom of the bottle you may need to take wheel off and arch liner out too , i noticed the pipe was wet from a small hole but was easy to fix

OK going to get the bottle in a bit, will fill it up and keep an eye on it...thansk guys :)

I had that but it was just a noisy power steering pump did me head in! its a HUGE amount of work to replace it too and half the engine needs taking out as i recall! So hope it aint that buddy.

waveform2 said:
I had that but it was just a noisy power steering pump did me head in! its a HUGE amount of work to replace it too and half the engine needs taking out as i recall! So hope it aint that buddy.

lol my s4 is currently in with Audi awaiting a new steering pump, the second in 6 weeks. Had it replaced as it was excessively noisy and turned out it had a massive air leak from within. £800 later and its even worse than before. New one being fitted under parts warranty.

Still waiting for the new one to arrive as they are on back order, will be 2 weeks tomorrow.

They reckon its only 3-4 hours to fit as the front panel and rads need bringing forward to access it but could be different on other engine setups however at £100 per hour its still a hefty labour charge to add to the stupid £800 price tag for the pump itself

Yeah i was quoted 6 hours labour, the pump itself isnt expensive you can also get recon ones i think too.

Nightmare with yours tho mate i feel for ya! :(

Well i filled the fluid up and its all ok now :)