Head swap on 2.7T with a 2.8 head, anyone ?

terminator

Reaction score
Looking into adding upper RS intake pieces like Mani/TB and cams and while the RS4 heads are not worth the cost wanted to know if anyone has had any success with adding 2.8 heads ? From what I heard from one person everything should bolt up fine with the rs4 parts as well as the 2.8 heads have slightly larger exhaust valves as well. Plus, don't the heads come with cams ? Wonder if the cams would have to be swapped out ?

Any advice is appreciated. !!

OOOOoo that's a biggie. Not sure. Yes the official Audi techs manual does say that the heads of the S4 are similar to the 2.8. In fact here is the text directly from said manual:

The cylinder heads are largely identical to those used in the V6 naturally aspirated engine. Common parts are used for both banks of cylinders.

The mounting position of the right-hand cylinder head is rotated through an angle of 180° in relation to the left-hand cylinder head. The timing of the inlet camshafts is enginedependent. To improve heat dissipation, the exhaust
valves are sodium-filled.

The variable valve timing
The camshaft timing has been modified
compared to the 2.8-litre V6 engine to meet the
demands of turbocharging technology.
Variable valve timing with an adjustment angle
of 22° is used here for the first time in
turbocharged engines
Advantage:
•
A torque increase of approx. 10% is
achieved at the bottom and top ends of the
engine speed range.
•
Better emission levels and fuel
consumption figures.
The variable valve timing is activated by the
Motronic by means of camshaft adjustment
valves N205 and N208.

The RS4 tech manual mentions the entire valve system has been redesigned. The exhaust ports are reported to be smaller.

Sorry not really much help. We are awaiting the official RS4 one.

OK, so the cam timing is changed to increase torque on the 2.7T. From what I have been able to gather, the 2.8 heads mimic the rs4 heads in cam profile, intake port and exhaust port. I thought I read somewhere that the exhaust valves on the 2.8 heads were slightly larger but the exhaust valves themselves were not sodium filled like those on the 2.7T

In any case, sounds like these heads will work just fine, bolt right up etc. Now I just need to track some heads down and get some pricing. JG

Sounds like an interesting project. Let us know how you get on. - Good luck