Diesel Chipping

Alex P

Reaction score
Right i though this came up all the time but after looking through the forum i couldnt find it.

i am about to chip my 1996 90bhp 1.9tdi A4 and am asking are there any other parts that i should upgrade before doing this?

Thanks in advance

If you are getting a 'generic' remap for your 90 (125-130bhp) i would not change any hardware.

You could add slightly larger injector nozzles, either 110bhp (0.205µm) or larger V6 TDI (0.216µm) nozzles, and then have a remap that takes the increased fueling into account.

Much more power and your clutch (which is a weak point on the 90bhp cars) may need upgrading.

If you want maximum power, add even larger nozzles, more efficient/larger turbo, more efficient intercooler and straight through large bore exhaust, then remap for the hardware and buy a stronger clutch when your old one wears out.

inigoj said:
If you are getting a 'generic' remap for your 90 (125-130bhp) i would not change any hardware.

You could add slightly larger injector nozzles, either 110bhp (0.205µm) or larger V6 TDI (0.216µm) nozzles, and then have a remap that takes the increased fueling into account.

Much more power and your clutch (which is a weak point on the 90bhp cars) may need upgrading.

If you want maximum power, add even larger nozzles, more efficient/larger turbo, more efficient intercooler and straight through large bore exhaust, then remap for the hardware and buy a stronger clutch when your old one wears out.

How many horses could you get out of that set up out of interest?

On a 90 or 110, you are probably looking at around 165-170bhp.

If you can fit a very large turbo, you can have much more power 250bhp+, but your car will not really be driveable (powerband very high), and engine & gearbox components will start to fail a lot quicker.

The A4 longitudinally mounted engines have limited space for a large 'down pointing' VNT turbo, not to sure on the room for a 'upwards from manifold' wastegated type.