Driver Info Display - 99 A4

tobybutler

Reaction score
Hi All, my driver Info display on the dash starts to dim out in areas when the car has been on for a while. I guess that it gets warm and fades, i am sure that i have seen a post on this before but cant find it. Anyone know the cost of replacing and whether the dash has to be unplugged etc to refit? - does it then need resetting with a special Audi tool?

Cheers,
Toby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

O dear not good. I've heard everthing from £200 to £800 to replace. I had two replaced under warranty.

In each case the entire unit was replaced i.e. the clocks and DIS. So I'm guessing the DIS part can't be replaced seperately. But I would check just in case. Like the headlights I found I could get a £7 repair kit for the really week lugs instead of buying a £800 zenon headlight. Being such a common prob I'll be amazed if Audi haven't come up with a cheaper solution. Given the age of you car the common nature of this prob I'd be on the phone to Audi customer services bleeting at how your having to stump up a rediculous sums of money for their badly designed part which I'd be amazed costs a fraction of the RRP. - Worth a try.

Quite scary! I have a 98R 1.8TS with the same!

I have just come on here again to ramble on about the same. After about 30 mins of being on, the OBC LCD fades badly. I now turn it off - cos looking at 20.1MPG was upsetting me!

Surely we can just change the LCD screen as the computer is still functioning, however, just can't see the output...?

£800??!! Does anyone know of a way of just replacing the LCD and not the whole damn dashboard??!

Cheers Patrick - i think i will keep my eyes closed slightly when i drive ( i may not notice it then) whereas i think i may notice a dent in my bank account for £800!

Neil, i like your website and the car pics, I wondered why your MPG was 20 and so decided to have a look at what you have fiddled with on the car - now i know!

I get appx 26mpg on mine just booting it round locally and 33 at 85mph on the motorway. Am gonna sell it in the next month or so as i have had to let the wife drive it after she smashed her car up. (she would rather have a focus!! Yuk) rather than drive my nice shiny motor.

Anyway i am going to try and find that DIS post that i am sure i read on this site somewhere.

Cheers,
Toby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The link wouldn't work. But I'd give the guys at VAGPARTS a call to find out much it really costs rather the £200-£800 I've seen written.

This is a known problem to Audi. Wife has a july1999 quattro T Sport , just done 40k. The display fades all around the edges after about an hour. Dealer has offered to fix at a cost of about £513 incl BUT Audi will pay 70%.
The whole unit does have to be replaced, not heard of repairs but I'm sure somebody somewhere must have !

Toby,

Try the following contact, the last time I heard they had a few complete dashes in stock that were selling for about £70. You might be able to swap the DIS over?

Overton Dismantlers
Overton Garage Ltd
off Dyce Drive
Aberdeen
Scotland AB21 0EQ
Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Regards,

Jim

I've a problem with the digi dash... but its not about fading.

When I turn on the ignition, the computer does the car check and the yellow OK comes up on the dash, but no red comes up at all.

I haven't looked at it yet, is power supplies for the red and yellow 'displays' on different lines or fuses?

Or maybe its just a loose wire, anyone any ideas or come across this before?

You may have turned it off.

On the right stalk on the bottom side is a button press it once and see if this fixes your problem.

HA HA HA

Whoops - it must have been my da turned it off last sunday when he had the car (it stopped working then) - I never even knew there was a switch there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The button has two functions. Press briefly to change the display. Press & hold to switch it off and on

That's the other way around jdp... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You press it briefly to turn it on and off, hold it to reset things like Average MPG, Average Speed etc.

If this is the button underneath the right-hand stalk that we're talking about anyway...

T

[ QUOTE ]
That's the other way around jdp... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You press it briefly to turn it on and off, hold it to reset things like Average MPG, Average Speed etc.

If this is the button underneath the right-hand stalk that we're talking about anyway...

T

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

I was about to post a similar thread as yesterday I noticed the top half of my DIS kept disappearing and re-appearing, in fact it did my head in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
I'm so glad I came across this thread as I now know that its yet another of the A4 foibles ; learned how to switch it off, and so now it's one less thing to worry about.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif