Rubbing now lowered.

Cviji

Reaction score
Just finished lowering my A4, 60mm front and 40mm back. The front is absolutely fine, but the back tyres are rubbing on the lower plate of the shocks, is the only way round this spacers? where can I get some quickly that will widen it around 10-15mm? each side? Has anyone else had this problem? The tyres are 235/45/17s.
Thanks.

10-15mm each side thats a bit much , must be wrong offset to need that much , i have run 235,35,19s very very low with no problems

maybe try 5mm each side max

You should be on 215/45/17 i think, notice you have b6 wheels which have a higher offset that the b5's. Set of spacers should do the trick.

I think the main reason its rubbing is the lower plate on these shocks is quite abit wider than on the old shocks, I think ital need more than 5mm though. Ive ordered some hub centric 15mm ones and ill try those and see what happens, you are right it might be too much. Will it look odd if just the rears have spacers?

Ok thanks, Do you not have them on the front? Can you not tell the difference? I should have them in the morning so will stick em on and try them.

Mine rubs but only when hoofing it round a corner and only on one side :think: . It doesn't do it quite so much now I've got the 18s on as it did with the 17s (the 17s were the same alloys & tyres as you Cviji - the B6 'Star' wheels).

What's even more confusing (to me anyway) is that the 17s were ET45/7.5J and the 18s are ET42/8J so I would have thought that the 3mm difference in offset would be almost cancelled out by the difference in J. Or am I just being thick?

If i had read this earlier i could have saved you some money as i have a pair of 15mm FK bolt to hub spacers for sale

So The B6 wheels I have are offset of 42 and The B5 wheels are nomally 35 yes? So what would this equate to? a 7mm move into the wheel arch with the B6 wheels? If I fitted some 17's with offset 35 and 235/45/17 tyres they may solve the problem without the need for spacers if the 7mm is enough to clear the shock. Am i right?

If you fit some wheels that have a 35 offset you should be laughing.

If your B6 wheels came off a cabriolet like mine did, they'll be 45 offset, the original 15s I replaced were 45 offset too. The 18s I've fitted are 42 offset, but since they're slightly wider it's cancelled out any clearance gain I'd got by fitting a lower offset. Apparently, the B5 should have between 35 and 45 offset wheels but I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough if that's not the case!

To be honest, the 18s I've got on now weren't even supposed to be going on - they didn't fit my mate's A6 so I sort of inherited them!