Tyre choice

macattax

Reaction score
Just wondering what tyres people on here reccomend using.
Winter is setting in now and in my area we suffer from very cold and extremly wet conditions with a few weeks of snow and ice thrown in for good measure.
But mostly we have rain rain rain and more wet weather.

I was reading up on rain tyres and was half thinking of getting them but I would like to know if the rain tyres would be any good in normal dry weather conditions.

So please list the tyres you have used past and present and what pros and cons come from not using all weather tyres. Should make for an interesting topic:idea:

Yokohama paradas i'm using at the moment. Best looking tyre and they are very impressive too.

Just replaced the back ones with Continental contact sports 3's xtra load, I'll let you know how they go, £155 each fitted but thats 225/35/19's.

I couldn't get a hold of any in the sizes I neede jim, my mate actualy recommended them to me.

Biglockie after Teutonic_tamers write up in on the thread you listed above I would think that the Michelin PilotSport PS2 are the way to go seeing as they are rated for heavy load and quoting T_T "extremely highly recommended, particularly for extreme wet weather performance, and comfort."

I am sold on his reccomendation but seeing as I am still on 16s I will not be getting new tyres until I get myself a set of 18s . I am having a lot of trouble finding the right wheels.

The 16s I have on now are 7J x 16 , offset 45.
From what I can tell I will need 18" wheels, offset 45, 7j to 7.5j, with tyres 205/55 R18.

Please tell me if I have got the tyre size wrong. I dont have my car lowered but it being a 1.8t sport I think it is set lower during production at audi factory

Going by the previous owners receipt history (very handy indeed!) I have 2 avon zz3s 91w 205/55/r16 on the back (fitted on 13/02/06) and 2 dunlop sport 9000 205/55/r16z up front (fitted on the 17/11/04).
So the backs are quite old and probably explain why I spin on the wet when pulling off on an incline but the tyre thread is still within legal limits.

So all going well I might just go for the michelin pilotsports unless somone knows better and has had these on their B5.

I priced them up and they were just over £200 A PIECE for mine cause i'm on the 19's, scared the life out of me when he told me LOL

Biglockie said:
I couldn't get a hold of any in the sizes I neede jim, my mate actualy recommended them to me.

£154 each on mytyres in your size

macattax said:
From what I can tell I will need 18" wheels, offset 45, 7j to 7.5j, with tyres 205/55 R18.

Please tell me if I have got the tyre size wrong. I dont have my car lowered but it being a 1.8t sport I think it is set lower during production at audi factory

When you switch to 18's you will want 225/40/18 not 205/55/18 tyres mate.

Thanks steve thats the kind of info i was after m8 :icon_thumright:

If you go for a 35mm offset it will fill the arches better and give a wider stance + you can go up to a 8j with 35mm offset.

I went for 35mm, 8j with a 235/40 18 Goodyear GSD3 F1 tyre, if you want any pics let me know.

macattax said:

I am not looking forward to getting 17's/18's next year with those kind costs!

I am using BF Goodridge profilers right now and they have lasted over 20k, and I have driven them hard.

I also read a review on some veridestein that were very impresive.

just dont get avons had these and had air bubble in the inside and could of blown
went to my garage and they have stoped selling avons for this reason
(b4 i got there not because of me)

Jimbo I have to say that your car is mint m8 lovin the colour.
You are right about the stance, looks good.

Is your car facelift? and is it a 1.8 T Sport?
And final question have you got your car lowered at all?
I am still on the the factory sport ride height so I am not sure how it would look if I had your suggested wheel/tyre setup.
But I wouldnt mind ending up with a similar result as yours.
I am so sick of the boring wheels I have on but like the rest of us I have a few other car projects to get through first but wheel are definetley next on the list.
How much did you pay for your 18s?

Its the facelift model, 1.8t quattro sport, i think the quattro sport sits slightly lower than the sport and has gas shockers, someone correct me if im wrong.

I have fitted some 15mm Bonrath lowering caps from germany on the front suspension to try and bring it down to the same level as the rear, its not far off.

The 18's i have on mine are made by ATP called Razze, they have a highly polished stainless steel face with black inserts, you can pick the wheels up for around £920.

There is quite a large selection of wheel+tyre packages on ebay at good prices and a set of lowering springs shouldn't cost too much.

have had GY GSD3's and they are awesome, except when very cold and then they become like every other tyre.
have pirelli P6000's at the moment and they are cr@p! weak sidewalls, poor grip in wet, wear very quickly and are not cheap.
Have has PZero Neros on another car, pretty good

JImbo, do you have a sloped driveway or is the front camber on your car more negative than the back?

Jimbo.King said:
If you go for a 35mm offset it will fill the arches better and give a wider stance + you can go up to a 8j with 35mm offset.

I went for 35mm, 8j with a 235/40 18 Goodyear GSD3 F1 tyre, if you want any pics let me know.

Is the bolt for our cars 5 x112?

jcb said:
Jimbo, do you have a sloped driveway or is the front camber on your car more negative than the back?

The driveway's flat, i compared the front to rear and there is a slight difference in negative camber on the front,
The tyres are wearing spot on across all four, i was going to get it 4 wheel alighned when i put the new tyres on but by the looks of it theres no need and it drives like new for 118,000 miles

macattax the wheels are 5x112 for our cars

i have pirelli pzero rosso's on mine. seem very good, i've had bridgestones in the past which were good, i've heard goodyear f1's are good for wet, for dryer use i like yokohama. i tend to have a winter selection and a summer/track day selection. in the summer i go for a formula R compound, but my a4 isn't upto that performance yet and they only last about 4000 miles..

Toyo T1R on her 1.8Tquattro, second set. Quiet, grip well in wet, couldn't care less about short life - we always go for grip.
Unimpressed with factory Bridgestones RE040
Rossos on my B6 were noisy and not that good a grip; Pilots on the S3 were ok but only OK

You rich git!
3 audis and all with good tyres ££££££££££££££.:hi: ???????

LOL

i have been using toyo T1-R's and i'm happy enough with them, they grip well in the wet and very well in the dry. £86 each fitted in 225 45 17 and was told they can supply 18" versions for £94 fitted! cheap enough, look nice and grip well.

previously had Michelin pilot sports, goodyear F1's and p zero's all at a much considerable price increase for similar levels of grip

Anyone tried the new Falken 452s? Seen them go for around £65 plus vat(225/40/R18)

I've had about every tyre going in the past - the last set I bought that I thought were fantastic were Vredestein Ultracs (had them on my M3).

I wanted a set again but they are pricey these days, hence the thought about Falkens.

N

naefeart_A4 said:
Anyone tried the new Falken 452s? Seen them go for around £65 plus vat(225/40/R18)

I haven't but my brother had them on his 200sx and rated them better than the proxes he had before. They also get a very good write up which is why I'm seriously thinking about them as my next set!