Car choice

hydracobra

Reaction score
As the title says i have the choice of 2 cars, car 1 is an S4 w reg, car 2 is a Saab 93 aero, now i know the preference on here is audi but i thought id get some unbiased info too, which should u go for ?

Depends if you want a fast car or not. The stock S4 is a very quick machine but can be made much quicker for not much more money.

What sort of engine is the Saab you're looking at?

this is an easy one, S4 all the way!

its got looks, power, reliability, comfort, lots of mods and its an AUDI! :icon_thumright:

Blue_Thunder said:
Depends if you want a fast car or not. The stock S4 is a very quick machine but can be made much quicker for not much more money.

What sort of engine is the Saab you're looking at?

2.0 T 210bhp front wheel drive, can be made quicker but i suppose will be limited cause it is frornt wheel drive

Nioce looking cars the Saabs, but in a different league to S4's. I may be bias as I own one and have enjoyed every minute of it, the petrol station also know me by name lol!
2wd v's 4wd, 1 turbo v's 2. 4 cylinders v's 6. Do the maths. As also pointed out the Saabs depreciate sooo quickly its untrue, plus they do have a bad rep for reliablity.
Join us and stay a while, stay forever hahahahahaha
(in evil baddies voice)!

Or if worried about running cost then have a look at the 1.8T A4 quattro as an option as a chip will get it up to 210bhp but you will still have quattro.

Randomjim said:
Saabs are dentist cars and realllly ugly if you ask me

Totally unbiased opinion there Jim? :laugh:

I quite like the later 93s (cousin's got a 1.9TiD 150 IIRC) and despite it being 2wd it still handles like it's on rails.

Sorry fella, but I'm afraid I would have to plump for the S4 too.

joost said:
Totally unbiased opinion there Jim? :laugh:

I quite like the later 93s (cousin's got a 1.9TiD 150 IIRC) and despite it being 2wd it still handles like it's on rails.

Sorry fella, but I'm afraid I would have to plump for the S4 too.

:happy:

I've been considering changing my A4 for a 9-3 Aero. Not 100% if I'm gonna stick with the audi yet, but the main thing which is helping me decide at the moment is all my friends have told me the saab is 'an old man's car'.

You can't really overlook the depreciation fact either. On the other hand, they are very well kitted out and do perform well. Tough choice.

I really like the look of the Saab's and the maintenance bills on my S4 are pretty high to say the least. Guess it depends on your affordability. The Saab you could pretty much buy and forget about apart from services. Buy an S4 and you could be opening a huge can of worms (my can has cost around £13k in the 11 months i've owned it... not including the purchase price!).

So basically Blue Thunders S4 has been completely replaced with all new parts? or I'm guessing someone was seriously raped by an Audi dealer.

With regard the Saab Aero, my mate had one as a company car for 9 months, didn't really feel that quick and the interior was just hideous, like being in an 80's Cavalier. As for reliability, his was in the garage with oil loss problems more than either one of my Audi's.

Blue_Thunder said:
Buy an S4 and you could be opening a huge can of worms (my can has cost around £13k in the 11 months i've owned it... not including the purchase price!).

This is whats worrying me about getting an S4 especially if I do end up buying one it will be one of the older ones.

Since buying mine I have done a lot of modification, but i've still spent a lot getting bits and pieces put right.

Got new DV's, new hoses (F hose/TBB/etc.), had it serviced, had to replace CV boots, had to replace cam cover gaskets, suspension arms were worn, exhaust would have needed replacing at some point (although I got a milltek as I was planning some mods), had to buy a new stereo as the existing one died, the list goes on... Nearly all of that was just wear and tear, but I found the labour costs all mount up, and i've always gone through an independent.

To put things into perspective, the car had only done 78k when I got it. And of course I was one of the unlucky ones who's turbos went pop!