1996 A4

moneyman

Reaction score
My son is about to purchase a 1996 A4 with less than 13,000 actual miles. I know your first question -- yes we have verified that the miles are indeed actual. The car was only driven sparingly in the summer months by elderly lady who went south for the winter.

My question is what the experts on this board would recommend for tuning up this car. Currently we plan to change all fluids based on age alone. Also the plugs so as to not get seizure at some later date. Still undecided is the timing belt/water pump?

You thoughts on what we should do would be most appreciated. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
sod said:
My son is about to purchase a 1996 A4 with less than 13,000 actual miles. I know your first question -- yes we have verified that the miles are indeed actual. The car was only driven sparingly in the summer months by elderly lady who went south for the winter.

My question is what the experts on this board would recommend for tuning up this car. Currently we plan to change all fluids based on age alone. Also the plugs so as to not get seizure at some later date. Still undecided is the timing belt/water pump?

You thoughts on what we should do would be most appreciated. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

What engine is in it?

you should not have to worry about the timing belt or water pump since that deals more with miliage rather than age.

As far as tuning up goes do you mean performance upgrades or just making suret the car is in good running order?

The car's engine is the 2.8. My goal is to just do a regular tuneup, although I am sure my son will be in touch with everyone in the future to get info on performance upgrades and chips.

There's not a lot you can do with the 2.8 in terms of chipping or modding for additional performance. Is it the 30 valve or 12v?

TIMING BELT TIMING BELT TIMING BELT a 1996 i.e. 8 year old V6 going into the hands of a young lad REV REV REV it has to have a new timing belt as theeeee highest priority!!

Who hasn't heard of the horrors of a snapped timing belt? Especially when two heads are concerned! Rubber perishes millage or not!!!

Yeah a complete fluid n filter change. If the previous owner was canny on it, I would also drive the car like you were running in a new one for the first couple of hundred miles. It's going to be a big shock to everything to suddenly be exposed to full performance. I am of course being presumptuous that your lad is the same as 90% of young lads behind the wheel and enjoys a spirited run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Enjoy!

The thermostats, brake discs n pads may not be at there best so give her a chance to adjust and let you know if something is not right.