Exhaust recommendations for 2.8Q

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Well after 162k miles the original exhaust finally needs replacing (****** shoddy Audi quality!).
Apart from OEM at £520 fitted any aftermarket recommendations? I don't want anything chavvy or overly noisey but if I'm spending that sort of money I'd rather give it to someone other than Audi.
When I was a boy racer it was Sebring or Jetex but that was a long time ago.

Hi got a milltek on mine and it sounds awesome but not very loud would recommend one or you can have my old system for nout if you want, not rotten, off 47k 2000 car but the middle hanger bracket has snapped not that it mattered!
Let me know i was just about to chop it up...

I had MIJ performance to build me a full custom one, with 2 cats, for 800 quid. You can specify how loud you want it and it's stainless, so another 150K will not be a problem.

I had a Scorpian System on my old B5, not to loud just a nice deep exhaust note. Ive currently got Supersprint on my S3 and its not too loud and build quality is excellent.

1 thing i can tell u from experience is go with milltek or supersprint!

whatever you dont get a powerflow! its *****!!! not just the exhaust but half the places that fit them dont know there **** from there elbows!

The old Milltek is the fav but i have heard good things about supersprint also, i think its down to your pocket, and how loud. I would always stay with somthing fairly quiet on an Audi as otherwise it just rewins the overall feel of quality that Audis usually give out.

Although i'd love to go for a Milltek for my 2.8, I have a noticed a slight problem.
The middle box hangs far far too low! I've seen three fitted and they all had the same problem. Its not down to the fitting, its down to the manufacturing of it. I've even spoken to milltek about maybe doing away with the middle box but they say it will be too loud.
So looks like its custom built for me!

The midde box is only low at the back, which is practically over the rear axle so totally not an issue.

AndyMac said:
The midde box is only low at the back, which is practically over the rear axle so totally not an issue.

:think: Not the one's i've seen! But hey, each to there own!;)

I've got a Milltek, nice deep note but note to loud, the build quality is good too.

Just measured mine and it has 4" clearance at the front and 3.5" at the rear, so, as I said, not an issue:
Milltek.jpg

AndyMac said:
Just measured mine and it has 4" clearance at the front and 3.5" at the rear, so, as I said, not an issue:

and as i said. Not the one's i've seen!

Miltek are superb but pricey, Magnex, Scorpion etc are all superb. Could even go custom (remember to avoid the tripe that PowerFlow punt out).

My T Sport has a custom back box made from 304 Stainless (iirc) with neat welds and 2 3" slash cut tailpipes

cal1470 said:
and as i said. Not the one's i've seen!

Sorry didn't realise they differed on different 2.8Q's.
I'm showing you what it looks like, so the ones you've seen are either badly fitted or not Milltek (as they only do one).

I've got this issue on my 1.8t qs, as in andymacs pic the lower part of the middle box can catch speed bumps if im not carefull - the nasty pyramid type.

When i first noticed how low it was I went back to my audi dealer to get it refitted - but they said it was fitted correctly and there wasnt anything that could be done.

My car is on h&r springs and this clearance prob is the only bad thing I have to say about this exhaust. I did think about a replacement pipe section, but I reckon it would be too loud.

N

Well i've finally made my mind up......due to height clearance issues, i've decided NOT to go down the Milltek route.
Car is booked in to MIJ Performance in a few weeks for a complete cat back custom.
Have had a few chats with them over the phone and so far very impressed with there overall attitude. Lets hope its the same service when i get there.

And here is a quick peek at the outcome!
Very Very Very impressed with MIJ Performance.
Well worth the £350 inc vat!

DSC04212.JPG

cal1470 said:
And here is a quick peek at the outcome!
Very Very Very impressed with MIJ Performance.
Well worth the £350 inc vat!

DSC04212.JPG

That does look really nice :) what is it like from inside the car noise wise ?

Markey said:
That does look really nice :) what is it like from inside the car noise wise ?

Its hard to explain dude, inside the car its not really noticable.
Its got a gorgeous throaty burble on idle and when you give it some pasty, it kind of shouts "I'M A V6 AND I'M COMING THROUGH"
It really comes on song when you press the loud peddle.

To me (and EVERYONE else who has heard it) say it is just right. Not too loud but just right.

Seriously, you gotta hear it to appreciate it.

Huge thumbs up to the boys at MIJ...:thumbsup: