A4 T tuning help...

Dan_Johnson

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just got my car back from having the whole bottom end rebuilt including crank because of some cowboy garage L!! I’ve had an Avant Guard Chip which apparently brings my 1.8 T up to around 195BHP but I want more, lol, looking at a filter as the next step, heard some dodgy things about some filters and oil getting on the air mass sensor, was looking at a K&N anyone know if the problem occurs with this filter?

After that it’s onwards and upwards, full exhaust and manifold etc, anyone recommend a really nice sounding exhaust that can be brought off the shelf?

the factory airbox on the a4 was designed very well... the only air filter that i 've heard of that gives any power gains over stock is the one here www.evoms.com but it's way to pricey for what you get out of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Dan_Johnson said:

Hmm there's a place down here called Autoteknik, where my car is now, and they've suggested that if I got the 57i kit, it would be ok as long as i cleaned the filter before hand? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay away from any induction filter that doesn't have some form of cold air intake or shielding from engine heat, as you will most likely loose power.

A cold air intake system with an enclosed airbox is what you should be looking for to ensure that there are gains to be had, by increased air flow and either reduced or maintained intake temperatures.

Also the 57i kits are oiled and can cause MAF failures (This is a fact based on my work with MAF's) if deposits are allowed to build up and if too much oil is applied to the element. The Japanese have used stainless steel filters for many years in the high end tuning business and now we are starting to see them introduced onto European cars through Jabbasport and through systems like the Quickshift Taipan from JBR performance.

Having said the above if the oiled type filter is well maintained and the MAF cleaned frequently then there is no reason that a MAF failure will occur.

P.S. If you are looking for much bigger gains of 250-350hp then I would suggest taking a look at the big turbo conversions that some of the below tuners can offer;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
b]SKN[/b]- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i have a k&N drop in filter andam still a little leary does anyone know if itg drop in filters have the problems with oil deposits, andy other recomendations?

[ QUOTE ]
dann959 said:
i have a k&N drop in filter andam still a little leary does anyone know if itg drop in filters have the problems with oil deposits, andy other recomendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any foam or material (excluding paper) based filters require oiling, and therefore there is always the risk of oil deposits, but with regular cleaning of the MAF and limited application of oil you should be allright.

ITG filters are foam and although they have a fancy name for the application substance, it is still basically an oil, so again you may face the same concerns as with the K&N.

In my exeperience. The gain in performance if any from the likes of filters / CAT back exhausts has proved so small that they simply aren't worth the money. You get the illusion the car is performing better simply because you hear either the induction or the exhaust. The best valve for money mods for real noticable inceases in performance are:

1. Re-map
2. remap + Full exhaust system replacement i.e. CAT
3. As #2 above but with a specific re-map to make the most of the reduced backpressure.
4. KKK004 turbos on the 1.8 or standard S4 + remap maybe at this stage you will find a slight inprovement by fitting a better airfilter - maybe!
5. As 4 but better intercooling be that bigger or charge cooling or water spray etc.
6. As 5 above but uprated fuel injectors/pump where required. In the case of the S4 RS4 parts are decent.
7. Hybrid turbos + all of the above and most defintely a radically different airfilter /MAF set up!

The only performance mods I have are remap, diverter valve and Milltek cat back exhaust. The remap took the car from 180 to 212bhp, AmD had it on the rolling road a week ago and it made 221.8bhp, so either the diverter valve or the Milltek produced 10bhp more. I had expected no more than 212bhp, I knew the exhaust was really for sound and looks unless I had the full turbo back, but was surprised to see it make 10bhp more than expected! Read into it what you will.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really dontplanon cleaning the K&N drop in filter since it hardly needs to be cleaned so I dont think I should have any problems with excess oil from the filter, but whats the best way to go about cleaning the MAF?

[ QUOTE ]
dann959 said:
I really dontplanon cleaning the K&N drop in filter since it hardly needs to be cleaned so I dont think I should have any problems with excess oil from the filter, but whats the best way to go about cleaning the MAF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a non flamable electronics cleaner in spray form on the sensor section and allow to dry before reinstalling.