Wanted - Facelift headlights

I bought one from motors in motion and the other from vw audi spares i think, and i got parts of the loom from Motors in Motion so it is easier to make up the new wires etc.

I got mine from here then got part of a loom off a scrapper to make the adapters.

Just a bit of advice before you go ahead; I installed PIAA bulbs (H4) into my headlights when I bought my pre-facelift A4 and the headlights were very good IMHO......
As I so much preferred the look of facelift Valeos I went ahead and fitted a pair of those recently and so had to get some more PIAA bulbs (this time H7) .
I have to say that whilst the facelift lights look soooo much better than the pre-facelift their performance isn't half as good; in fact I'd go as far as saying they are crap!
Am seriously considering fitting a HID Xenon kit just to get decent headlights once more!

Oh right, well I really want the facelift ones despite the poor performance cos I rarely do night driving anyways but all I can find onebay and such places are the halo angel eyes ones which I'm not after, not sure how they would look in a square shaped light! I really can't find any anywhere! Argh! lol

liam_bettinson said:
Oh right, well I really want the facelift ones despite the poor performance cos I rarely do night driving anyways but all I can find onebay and such places are the halo angel eyes ones which I'm not after, not sure how they would look in a square shaped light! I really can't find any anywhere! Argh! lol

I'd recommend keeping an eye on Ebay..........
Bought my pair of facelift Valeos used but as-new for £65 as a buy-it-now a few months back.
Just a question of being lucky I suppose................

Nessy said:
I have to say that whilst the facelift lights look soooo much better than the pre-facelift their performance isn't half as good

Beg to differ, personal opinion only of course but the light I get from mine is a lot crisper and has a better spread. And I'm not running HIDs either.

liam bettinson said:
I really can't find any anywhere!

I take it my previous post was no good then? They're only £15 more than Nessy paid and they're brand spanking new.

joost said:
Beg to differ, personal opinion only of course but the light I get from mine is a lot crisper and has a better spread. And I'm not running HIDs either.

Yours may be better performing if they are not OE, the OE Valeos do give a great crisp beam with a distinct cut-off (think due to fact there is a metal shutter that can be flipped over to make the lights dip the other way and so convert them for use abroad) but when they go to main beam the performance is dismal .
I have PIAA H7 bulbs in both the dipped and main beam and the performance of the facelift Valeos on main beam is far worse than the main beam of the pre-facelift Valeos with PIAA H4 bulbs.....
Since fitting the facelift lights I've come across a thread by someone lamenting the performance of the 99-01 OE facelift Valeos and I have to say I agree with them, but overall I'm glad I did the swap as they really look great!

I'll agree with you on the looks and the main beam performance. Although I know that when the facelift lights are fitted to pre-facelift cars and the main beam is switched on, the dip lights go off. But there is a mod to do that means they both work at the same time (just not done that yet - don't use main beam much anyway). Mine are the OEM Valeos but I have some 'xenon filled' H7s in rather than normal halogen H7s.

joost said:
...there is a mod to do that means they both work at the same time...

Ignore that one Nessy - just done a search and realised it was you that did it and passed the details on! :tocktock: :sorry:

joost said:
I'll agree with you on the looks and the main beam performance. Although I know that when the facelift lights are fitted to pre-facelift cars and the main beam is switched on, the dip lights go off. But there is a mod to do that means they both work at the same time (just not done that yet - don't use main beam much anyway). Mine are the OEM Valeos but I have some 'xenon filled' H7s in rather than normal halogen H7s.

Yes, I've done the mod to the indicator stalk wiring so that the dipped bulbs stay on when main beam is selected , just a simple jumper wire is all thats needed.....its on the end of this thread;

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41297

The PIAA bulbs are from Japan and I can't recommend them enough as they claim to give 110w-equivalent of light output from the standard 55w; am sure its the design of the headlamp that is at fault as mine are not impressive at all on main beam, and yes I did get the lights adjusted on a beam -setter at the garage after I fitted them,LOL.