*Urgent SOS* Please help

g60leigh

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some urgent help!
Long story but my brother was trying to help me out but has manage to drill straight through the wiring loom as it runs under the passenger seat from the front of the car to the rear.
I have been on a few hours soldering the wires back together (driven me :jump:)
The ones that were not split in two I just re-insulated...
BUT....
I now have 2 problems:
1) The brake warning light and ABS light on the dash have come on
2) My central locking has completely stopped working

All the lights etc are working ok so I am guessing that I need to re-look at some of the wires:scared2:

Can anyone send me a wiring diagram for this car or tell me which wires are likely to be at fault/control these functions?
I tried to Vag-com it to narrow down possibilities for ABS light but my (ebay version) vag-com has satrted to play up.

ohhh what a nightmare day!!!:keule:

PLEASE HELP ME:motz:

My car is a 1996 A4 (AEB) not the quattro

THANKS GUYS

Good luck mate :) sorry i can not provide a diagram but just check that the wires you insulated are making not split and are making good connections are with the soldered joints, also make sure there are no short circuits :)

Thanks, I have one of the small fuses blown going to get some spares tomorrow, tried swapping over with other fuse and still have the problem though.
Looks like I am goining to have to do a continuity test on every wire :( not a lot of fun

g60leigh.

The haynes manual for the A4 should have the all the wiring diagrams. i can also send you the wiring diagrams from elsawin if you send me a pm with an email address.
I need to know if you have the remote control central locking or just the key operated one

Download ETKA it should have the wiring diagrams

You may also need to use Vagcom to clear the error codes and get the warning lights away.

enda1 said:
g60leigh.

The haynes manual for the A4 should have the all the wiring diagrams. i can also send you the wiring diagrams from elsawin if you send me a pm with an email address.
I need to know if you have the remote control central locking or just the key operated one

I need an email address on the pm to forward the diagrams they are in a PDF format

docurley said:
Or use a circuit tester on the wires you have soldered to make sure you have no brakes in the loom.

not sure which are positive and which negative, some will only be live when used :(

am i right in saying you reset the lot by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes....reconnect....turning the ignition on one click for twenty/ turn off then start the car? I know this does wonders for everything else. May reset the lights, if not, no harm done. Please correct me if i'm wrong

g60leigh said:
not sure which are positive and which negative, some will only be live when used :(

Then get your Plonker brother :asskicking: to put his foot on the brakes so you can see the live.

Only kidding about the brother thing.

docurley said:
Then get your Plonker brother :asskicking: to put his foot on the brakes so you can see the live.

Only kidding about the brother thing.

No you are right about the brother I called him worse than that, lets just say we are not speaking at the minute

MeAndMyBaby said:
am i right in saying you reset the lot by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes....reconnect....turning the ignition on one click for twenty/ turn off then start the car? I know this does wonders for everything else. May reset the lights, if not, no harm done. Please correct me if i'm wrong
No I have not tried that yet mate, will do it tomorrow, I got stuck straight into soldering the wires when I got in and found out.

Need to get a new copy of Vag Com 409 to reset error codes as me keeps disconnecting the cable so have to test connection again!

I have noe done a continuity test on each and every one of the wires that was caught all are fine and are re-connected
Still having the problems:
1) ABS light and buzzer on dash
2) No central locking

I am going to try thr battery reset thing tomorrow but while I am posting has anyone any suggestions on where I look next i.e fuse or relay locations?

Thanks for all the help guys