Cam chain failiure

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone on here had this before? My car died last night on the side of the road, i have no compression,and the belt is intact. I noticed with the oil cap off that the inlet cam seems to have a delay when turning the engine over so i summise a problem there.

I am stripping her tomorrow,and wonder does anyone have a spare AEB cylinder head for sale??

I will update then

Nightmare! Especially seeing as you've only just put the new lump in! Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Well the chain looks intact,and still in line, but i have absolutly no compression. So obviously summat touched. I aim to remover the head tomorrow to see what i can find inside.

With the divorce etc i could so do without this.....

All i could find was a small bit of cambelt cover inside the belt area,so i assume it somehow jamed the belt causing this damage
21082007041.jpg

20082007040.jpg

20082007039.jpg

Ouch that looks painful mate, you may remember that i took my whole head to bit when i had my turbo failure, luckily i had no bent valves

What you gonna do with thos pistons ? will they dress up ?

as much as i dare,i was gonna wedge the new head on when i noticed that the timing marks didnt line up on TDC. The key has sheared from the back of the bottom cam pulley. I am so glad i eventually found the reason for the blow up

Ouch... I don’t have a clue when working inside an engine so the fact you found the problem I tip my hat but a pity it happened to you right now.

f*ck me thats unlucky, even a broken cam belt usually only bends valves in one cyclinder.

Turned out to be a broken key off the bottom timing pulley. She is now running better than ever thanks to an AEB head etc. WWWOOOOHHOOO

Oh and i now have internet back.

good to see tat the car is back up and running mate, it brought back nasty memories of mine, its great whn you get sorted though!

30082007057.jpg

29082007055.jpg

Worrying thing is,it had settled at 180 degrees out so didnt look to out of place until it came to re assembly time. I noticed TDC was showing on 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 4.
Shame it cost so much for the sake of a £25 part

Good to see its all back up and running my head comes off tomorrow to see how many bent valves i have :(