A4 tailgate

niggtv

Reaction score
Some f*ckwit has damaged the tailgate on my 1997 A4 1.8T Avant (obviously without leaving any details). So, I'm looking for a new one - can anyone confirm whether a tailgate from the slight facelift that occurred in about 1998 to 2000 would be ok?

Cheers

It will fit but the lock would be different plus you may need to do some additional wiring as they have a solenoid to pop the lid.

Sorry to nick the thread, but while on the topic of boot lids is it possible to get hold of a yank or a rectangular plate recessed boot lid here in the UK?

Cheers Docurley. Is the panel itself is the same though so I could swap over the old lock and plastic strip etc, and install all the old gubbins?

I have an a4 tailgate which i used temporarily while i had the plate recess shortened on mine (us style) I painted it satin black and it has holes where it has had a spoiler other than that its in decent shape yours for 25 quid, i in sunderland if you wanted to collect, im not sure how much post would be

doc, is the "solenoid" the ability to pop the hatch from inside the car or from the remote? if so, then my car has this(prefacelift). what would the other wiring be?
see, i have a lot of interest in the original question because i am thinking about selling my current b5 getting a manual 1999.5 avant, but i would swap the trunks on them(i like the space for a europlate)

and also on the subject of tailgates, does anybody know if the little cover that goes above the license plate from a facelift avant in europe would replace the one on an early avant in europe(and prefacelift in the US) with out anywork?

the difference is the facelift one is totally flush, but the early one sticks out a bit(see pictures). i know im crazy with these small, insignificant mods.

pre-facelift:

post-facelift(i know it is an rs4, but it is a facelift tailgate and has the flush piece i am talking about):
025.jpg