Increased fuel consumption

Biglockie

Aye you know it makes sense
Reaction score
Car seem to be drinking fuel at the moment, also when on tickover it seems to be hunting, i.e the revs raisning and dropping slightly, is all this down to a possible MAF problem??????

Chris

disconnet it then re connect when its running?? or when its off

If it runs OK with it disconnected then it has to be faulty MAF. Could also be temp sender, mine was doing some very strange things at idle, worse when cold, even though the temp guage seemed to be working fine, replacing the sender sorted the idle problem. Cheap fix as well at £20.

The idle isn't bad enough to hear but the instrumentation is showing a drop and rise in idle speed but the fuel consumtion has dropped off to around 23MPG, which is way off what it was when i bought it. I'll try the MAF thing tonight

My 1.8T has dropped from 30-31mpg to 25-27mpg, Im beginning to think my MAF is not doing the job so well now. Car has just done 90000miles and it used to idle lovely but now its a lil twitchy.

just out of curiousity how much does everyone get out of a full tank?

iget about 220-240 local driving, bout 250-260 on motorways

mines a 1.8T.

thanks

dappadan786 said:
just out of curiousity how much does everyone get out of a full tank?

iget about 220-240 local driving, bout 250-260 on motorways

mines a 1.8T.

thanks

i get 240 miles from about 3/4 of a tank, about 370 miles from a full tank on a motorway avg 75mph

Note: Using V-Power Unleaded I get more to the gallon than standard, guess the car just loves the higher octane stuff huh. Worked it out that Im not actually spendin anymore than I would buyin the cheaper normal unleaded when i compare mpg for both fuels.

Turbo Lag FTW said:
i get 240 miles from about 3/4 of a tank, about 370 miles from a full tank on a motorway avg 75mph

wow! thats good! what year is your car if u dont mind me asking?

think mines has got summat definetly wrong! im not even a fast driver! hardly get a chance with kids in the back i take it easy!

thanks mate.

300 on a tank locally and on the motorway on a good day 230 - 240 on a bad week

dappadan786 said:
wow! thats good! what year is your car if u dont mind me asking?

think mines has got summat definetly wrong! im not even a fast driver! hardly get a chance with kids in the back i take it easy!

thanks mate.

Its a 98 S-Reg, Full service history and well looked after :)
If I put the foot down my mpg just takes a massive nose dive, down to 23-25mpg on the trip computer, worst ive had is 17mpg and that was doing something very naughty lol. On a serious note I got to drive like an old man to get the mpg I usually get (and still the dump valve goes off).
But Like I say I use 98 Octane fuel which my car really prefers, every time ive put 95 Octane it runs like a bag of poo and there is no significant saving in mpg for the cheapness of the fuel.

Turbo Lag FTW said:
Its a 98 S-Reg, Full service history and well looked after :)
If I put the foot down my mpg just takes a massive nose dive, down to 23-25mpg on the trip computer, worst ive had is 17mpg and that was doing something very naughty lol. On a serious note I got to drive like an old man to get the mpg I usually get (and still the dump valve goes off).
But Like I say I use 98 Octane fuel which my car really prefers, every time ive put 95 Octane it runs like a bag of poo and there is no significant saving in mpg for the cheapness of the fuel.

Mine drops off to five If I nail it, theres defo something wrong.

I am doing around 200 miles within city limits, but with very conservative driving (96 2.6 Quattro). I think that my millage is an indication of something going wrong as well... Can you tell me where excatly the MAF is located in order to have a go as well? Cheers

The maf is in the air box, not sur ehow to fix it though

Thanks for that. I'll have a go to disconnect it and see how it goes. Anyone has any ideas about how much a new MAF costs? Cheers

Biglockie said:
The 1.8t is different to that andy

He's got a 2.6Q, can't be that different to a 2.8Q. Anyway gives an idea on what to look for.
New MAF's are around £80 IIRC

The MAF is the same (I had a look yesterday in the engine to check things and I remember that) the location is a bit different but it is on top of the air filter.

VAG COM'd the car last night with no faults showing up, think the MAF is still within its operating parameters but toward the bottm end so gonna replace it and see what the outcome is.

Chris