Update to my strip out project A4 1.8T

billybravo

Reaction score
Website
www.topgearstockport.com
Hello guys

Well its been a long time now since i last posted an update so here goes.

To start ive taken my intake manifold off and the water and oil beather pipes. i smoothed the intake manifold and got rid of all the nasty welds.

all the parts have been sent off to be chromed and i should get them back this thursday.

While all thats getting done i also took my cam cover off and gave it a good old cleaning, there was so much crap stuck to it on the inside. ( When i fit my new gearbox i will also be taking off the sump and giving that a good clean out)

I took the cam cover to be sandblasted and now its being powered coated bright Red

As for the inside

Ive re-trimmed all my door cards in Red Alicantara which looks really nice and off sets the red racing harnesses.

All the sound deadening has been removed from the back off the car and im due to do the fronts in the next week or so.

Ive also made and fitted a rear brace across my suspension mounts which will hold my belts in place.

Once all the inside is preped im going to paint it in a matt black. and re do my roof lining in black Alicantrara.

heres a few photos of how things are going.

cheers

craig

IMAGE_116.jpg

IMAGE_115.jpg

Note the red door cards on this pic

IMAGE_114.jpg

IMAGE_113.jpg

more pics to follow at the end of the week

Car looks good mate, having a lota hard work put into it.

Can I ask, in the last pic you posted, what goes in that round hole? (and I dont mean the spare wheel before anyone says it!) Saw the one in my car and wondered what it was.

I believe the hole is to access the fuel pump and tank sender.

docurley said:
Great work but I'm a little confused as you are stripping her out but you have put the door cards back in!!!:uhm:

Asthetics i would have guessed. I'd do the same if it were me TBH as it covers up the gubbins in the rear doors.

Good job :icon_thumright:

why not ive already got my car down to near a ton with the door cars in my main aim was to get a around a ton. Without the door cards the car looks a mess. the head liner is like paper thats why thats going back in.

but i do want to find a sunroof plug maybe a carbon item but no one makes them.

What about carbon fibre door cards or sheet alloy. My pal has carbon fibre door cards for his stripped out motor.

hi looks impressive and scary all at the same time

what is the aim of the strip out? weight loss or customisation? or both :D

billybravo said:
Hello guys

I took the cam cover to be sandblasted and now its being powered coated bright Red

Make sure that you have cleaned all the sandblasting material out of every nook and cranny of the cam cover (and any other parts you have sandblasted). I heard a horror story of someone who didn't do this and ended up having to have a complete engine rebuild as the sand\blasting material went into the engine bores etc.

my aim is to get the weight down to a ton like said above.

as for the sand blasting i got my rocker cover back today powder coated red.

i should be getting my chromed intake today or tomorrow.

IMAGE_128.jpg

rockercover.jpg

IMAGE_129.jpg

this is whats new today everything has been stripped now ready for the new paint to go on, which should happen next week.

My chrome isnt going to be here till monday :(

anyway heres what ive been upto.

IMAGE_134.jpg

IMAGE_133.jpg

IMAGE_132.jpg

****** hell, good modding action taking place, good work billyb, valve cover and door trims are looking NOICE!

Hiya all Well i got my Chrome parts back today.

The manifold had alot of work done to it to remove all the seem welds and to make it alot nicer.

The parts i had done are as follows

manifold
throttle bracket
Top water pipe
Crank case beather pipe

i didnt get any pics of the engine built up as it was to dark will post more pics tomorrow

IMAGE_140.jpg

IMAGE_141.jpg

IMAGE_142.jpg

IMAGE_139.jpg

And the inside is now ready for paint tomorrow cant wait to get this out of the way.

IMAGE_136.jpg

IMAGE_138.jpg

more to come tomorrow guys

cheers

craig

Nice work fella....the manifold looks stunning :) Keep up the good work. Me painting my brake calipers seems quite insignificant now LOL

Looking spot on there, just out of interest where did you get those chrome/gloss black interior door pulls (cant tell if they are either from the pic) from im looking for the same thing, or even if i can get a black set of another car :think:

dude... looking good.
youll have it done before me bud..

hows tricks with you then billy ?

ive just got me one seriously mental ecu.....

pm me bud you might be intrested?:icon_thumright:

thats what you call a killer project!

where did you get the intake manifold from? is it standard or performance?

cars looks a stunner and its not even complete, can wait to see the final article.

Dan

also the manifold is a std one but with all the welds removed and smoothed we are going to start doing these if ppl want them i just need a large and small port manifold so i can start an exchange service.

so has any body got some spare intake manifolds

The paint inside looks **** hot mate :) whats the unit for your business or just a big garage for your car :) ?

billybravo said:
Cheer mate the unit is for my business We are opening a custom Tuning shop.

sweet! might have to pop down and see you!

what back bumper have you got? looks good!

will you guys have a spray shop? hard to find a decent place nowadays thats not going to charge an arm and a leg!