my cat has snapped!

a4quat

Reaction score
whilst driving to work this morning my exhaust started to blow as i pulled out of a junction, when i got to work i checked under the bonnet to find the cat had come away from where it connects to the turbo leaving the clamp in place! i was stuck as to what to do, de-cat, race cat, a new cat or remove old cat and get it welded! anyway i phoned audi and they quoted me £450 exchange! i phoned eurocarparts and they quoted me £99 all in with a fitting kit and they had one in stock! so i had to buy it, i had a look myself at the job and it looked like a pita so i took it round to the local exhaust centre (whilst trying not to do more than 1200 revs) and they have told me that they will do it monday and charge me no more than 2 hours labour at £35 per hour plus vat! so that looks like that is what im gonna do! has anybody else done the job there self or seen one snap at that point?

a4quat said:
they have told me that they will do it monday and charge me no more than 2 hours labour at £35 per hour plus vat! so that looks like that is what im gonna do! has anybody else done the job there self or seen one snap at that point?

35 Quid an hour, what the ******, I know my local exhaust garage would charge £25-30 tops for the whole job. Surely its not that hard of a job, by the way is the oxygen sensor wires intact wouldnt like to think u had to fork out for a new one.

yeah it seems that the o2 sensor is still ok, would i have a light on my dash if it wasnt????

this happened to me 2 days ago i got mine welded but im after a de cat now

billybravo said:
its a common fault mine did it last year i thought i had an evo up my **** then i pulled over to find the same i went the de-cat route.

nice step by step guide! i couldnt see myself going down the de cat route and having to put a cat on every 12 month........

Rob_k said:
this happened to me 2 days ago i got mine welded but im after a de cat now

did you get yours welded in place or did you have to remove it to weld it?

had it removed cost me £30 all in:icon_thumright:

have now changed my mind im gonna remove it and get someone to weld it for me..........

billybravo said:
its a common fault mine did it last year i thought i had an evo up my **** then i pulled over to find the same i went the de-cat route.

mate what is the name of your car color , and could u give me the paint number?

thanks

GOD!!! I really though a cat has sneaked in your engine bay and you found it dead...

ARG Pardon my sick mind, I'd better work now...

LOL!

Thius happened to me. Seems common.

Easy to fix though. Just take it off, weld it and fit it back on. Job done!