Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Replacing Front Upper suspension arms

Hi Guys, After some help. Have had this knocking noise on the A4 for a few weeks now, Discovered both front upper suspension arms and the track rod ends are shagged on each side. How easy are these things to replace? Do the shocks have to come out?
    Thankyou for any help.
    Last edited by Cviji; 14th July 2007 at 17:53.

2. # ADS
    ADS

German Hardcore

Status
    Unless you have access to oxy-acetalene I wouldn't even attempt it, trust me, I speak from experience!

VW + Audi mad

Status
    The upper suspension arms can be a right pain to remove.
    The balljoints on the 2 upper arms are held in to the upright of the suspension leg by means of a pinch bolt mounted horizontally ,which usually rusts solid in-situ.
    I had to remove the whole suspension leg (complete with upper arms) from my A4 and apply gas heat/use a big hammer/swear a lot before I got one of those pinch bolts to move...........
    The Passat basically has the same front suspension and the local VW Dealership says that pinch bolt is infamous for giving grief...........
    Not what you want to hear I'm afraid................
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    if you are doing it yourself drop the whole assembly.
    Hell of a lot easier to redo everything whilst out the work in a the wheel arch!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cviji
    Hi Guys, After some help. Have had this knocking noise on the A4 for a few weeks now, Discovered both front upper suspension arms and the track rod ends are shagged on each side. How easy are these things to replace? Do the shocks have to come out?
    Thankyou for any help.
    It's really easy to do. You drop the car at your local garage an pick it up a couple of hours later,which is what I did...

I know it does no help you too much, but it didnt cost the earth to ge done. it cost couple of hundred quid with parts labour and a service too.
    1999 S4, MIJ Performance exhaust with 100 cell cats

Neutral

Status
    Oh dear, not ideal. Ill have a word with the local garage and see what they would charge for labour, ive already bought the parts though.

2nd Gear

Status
    uh oh. i think i need to do this on mine, i have an MOT advisory for a joint on the front suspension, cant exactly remember which one though.

hopefully its not these ones!

Neutral

Status
    I would think the bottom ones are going to be just as bad if not worse.

My dads decided hes going to have a go, hes pretty good when it comes to cars, ill let you know if it goes smoothly!

2nd Gear

Status
    just had a look and the mot advisery says there is play in a top arm bush (doesnt say which one) and a anti roll bar link.

were pretty handy with cars so will give it a pop, unfortunatly we dont have a oxy acetelene kit but i know a man who does.

if its cheap enough its still tempting to send it to a garage... which is saying somthing as i cant remember the last time one of my familys cars went to a garage for work (other than tyres and MOTs)

Neutral

Status
    Got the top arms changed today. Took us about 3 and a 1/2 hours to do both sides. Bolts didnt give us any greif really, getting the joints into the hub was probably the most difficult thing.

2nd Gear

Status
    i take it you didnt have to heat them?

looked on my MOT fail and its a top arm bush and a anti roll bar drop link on the offside that needs doing. will jack it up, check that this is right and then order the parts. anything else worth doing at the same time?

3rd Gear

Status
    oh dear, i have the dreaded knocking as well, guess i need to get me overals on, i'm going to poly bush mine, has anyone done this? do i still need to replace all the arms (they have ball joints which i guess will be shagged), or can i just replace track rod ends and put new bushes in old units?
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    I had someone do my polybushes. I did my Mk2 golf and that was a PITA, god knows what it is like to do a B5 without a decent press and a set of useful powertools

worth it though
    cost me just over a grand to get my KW V3's fitted, full set of Polybushes plus fitting and two new front lower arms. Bush kit is just shy of £400

audi a4.36

Status
    heard polybushes are the way forward but can stiffen the ride up a little and it mite get a little bumpy,let us know how it goes.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nickkeyser
    i take it you didnt have to heat them?

looked on my MOT fail and its a top arm bush and a anti roll bar drop link on the offside that needs doing. will jack it up, check that this is right and then order the parts. anything else worth doing at the same time?
    Yes the other side, no point doing just one without the other.

2nd Gear

Status
    should i do both on each side, at the moment i have only bought the one that was at fault. hmm; your probably right and i should probably do all the top arms, both drop links, and both track rod ends. are bottom arms prone to ware?

Neutral

Status
    Yer would be wise to do all.

Yes the bottom arms are prone to wear, I beleive they went on mine before the top ones. You can get a complete set off ebay will all arms, bolts etc for about £150 I beleive, which is very good value.

Razz it

Status

Arms

Hey guys Its a real easy job i thought. Got the parts off ebay, your lookin at about 25 -30 quid per arm.
    Audi dealer quoted me 56 + vat each arm and 4 hours labour (440)
    so did it myself took me about an hour n half.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
    The upper suspension arms can be a right pain to remove.
    The balljoints on the 2 upper arms are held in to the upright of the suspension leg by means of a pinch bolt mounted horizontally ,which usually rusts solid in-situ.
    I had to remove the whole suspension leg (complete with upper arms) from my A4 and apply gas heat/use a big hammer/swear a lot before I got one of those pinch bolts to move...........
    The Passat basically has the same front suspension and the local VW Dealership says that pinch bolt is infamous for giving grief...........
    Not what you want to hear I'm afraid................
    Thanks for all your help, I didn't have much trouble - got away with just removing the three bolts at the top of the leg, compressing the spring with a rope and easing it out a bit to get at the arm bolt

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys, just had a MOT failure due to excessive play in front upper suspension arm ball joint. The bloke at the garage mentioned the bolts are often a nightmare

I will probably attempt myself, but only have till the end of the month where is the cheapest place to get a new arm from? Its a P reg (1996) B5 2.8 V6 Quattro Avant.

Have not had the car long so I am pretty lost at the moment!

Thanks
    Last edited by dtokez; 15th January 2013 at 12:38.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Give Jason at All German Parts a call, he'll sort you out with a decent quality arm. Cheap tat will only last about 5 minutes.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers I will try that out. how much do you think for a ballpark price for one arm?

Do I need to change the whole arm or can I just change the ball joint? Also, where does the problem of the rusty stiff bolt arise, to swap the arm or something else?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The balljoint is part of the arm.

One arm will probably cost somewhere between 20 and 50quid depending on which one it is. The upper ones are cheaper than the lowers.

Its often worthwhile if you plan to keep the car to buy a kit which includes all 8 arms, the track rod ends and the ARB links. The kit costs around £350, but its quite a bit cheaper than buying them one by one, and means you refresh it all in one go.

The rusty bolt holds the upper arms in.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi aragorn thanks for the info!

I'm not sure how long I will be keeping the car for at the moment, it has got quite a nasty oil leak and I'm not sure where its coming from, so just want to do the minimum to get an MOT on it at the moment. Good idea about doing the lot though!

So basically, I HAVE to change the whole upper arm and HAVE to get the bolt out of it somehow?

Thanks!