Hi; im 19 and have just bought myself a A4 to replace my pug 306 1.9TDI.
i picked her up on the 30th and am loving punting about in it but have a few problems. anyway, pics first.
PICS REMOVED BECAUSE IM NOT ALLOWED TO POST THEM!
naff pics; will get some better ones.
anyway; the problems. i will keep you updated as i get them fixed. but any help or advice is more than welcome, im at my wits end with some of them!
i bought the car relativly cheap for what it is; knowing about a few problems; but others have come along since owning it.
- didnt come on boost, after some pokeing about i fitted a new maf sensor and all seems to be OK now (new about this one when i bought it); however;
- this was hiding a possible slipping clutch. which i hadnt bargained for. when changing gear under hard acceleration the rev needle pauses at its current RPM as your lifting the clutch up, and remains there very breifly before the revs drop and it starts pulling up through taht gear (if that makes scence) its only very breif, and other than a high biting point (that i understand to be normal on a4s?) there is no other signs; and it seems happy under load all the rest of the time?
- i have a jingling noise from around my rear left wheel. have shaken everything and cant find anything loose. when i jack it up and let it back down it gets alot better then proressivly gets worse. on another forum i was advised to check my strut top nut, which i did last night and tightened a further 2 turns before adding a second nut to lock it. if it progressivly gets worse again i can assume its not this, if it stays contant i think it still isnt tight enough and its time for the impact driver. the weird thing is that the jingling is coming from the centre of the wheel (hwen dad sticks his head out of the rear door and listens while i slowly drive down the track to our house). Ideas?
update; FIXED! was the brake pad anti rattle springs in correctly located.
- bootlid only opens on the key, the touch pads are dead, and the central locking makes no attempt to unlock it; no matter what position the key is in. (knew about this one when i bought it)
Update 17/07/07; pressing and holding the middle button on the key also unlocks the boot. it appears to be a problem with the touch pads.
- puddle light doesnt work on the back left door. (knew about this one too; hopefulyl just a bulb)
Update 17/07/07; bulb is OK, and there is power at the B pilar, i assume its down to a broken wire inside the door. will test it better before i go taking the door apart (if i can be botherd)
- cam belt might not have been done at interval; its ticked off but i want to check this. is it easy to remove the covers?
Update 17/07/07; checked and it has had the cam belt replaced, which makes scence as it appeard to have new pads all round, front discs, and coolant.
- it drives strait with the left hand side of the steering wheel lower than the right, it also needs a front suspension joint acording to the MOT advisory sheet it came with; so the two might be linked. i didnt realise about the left hand down thing due to the test driving being around country lanes. DOH.
- the sport rear wing is no longer stuck on, just the two screws at either end holding it. the bulb is gone and the cover is loose so it rattles around a fair bit. would love to replace it with a RS4 lip but unfortunatly it has holes drilled that a lip wont cover.
Update 17/07/07; its not got bulbs in it, but LED's on a corroded old circuit bored. i realy want to get rid of this hunk of tat spoiler. might have to find a new bootlid or weld up the holes.
i think thats all of them!
sounds alot worse than it is and its a lovly car to drive and im over the moon with it but want to get the niggling faults out the way before i get it remapped and maybe some larger injectors; luckily im handy with the spanners and pretty well equiped with a decent garage so im not to fussed. its great fun on the twisties and boy does it go for a 1.9TDI! im realy supprised, i timed 0-60 (in the wet, out of a junction) at 10.8seconds on my G-Tech (which is generally pretty accurate), so with a lot less wheel spin it should easily do it in 10seconds? thats quite a bit faster than the book says.
i will keep you updated; please feel free to add any advice / fixes you have for my above problems.