JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

headlight adjustment switch

we didnt get this here in the us, does anybody have a picture of it mounted, and know which models it came it?

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

VW + Audi mad

Status
    I think all UK-sold Audis (well, later ones anyway) have electrical headlight adjustment?
    My last car, a 1994 Audi 80 Avant had it , as does my early '99 (pre-facelift) A4 Avant.................
    The switch in your picture looks like it has come from a facelift car (presuming that it is an A4 switch?) as mine is smaller...........
    Will take a picture of mine later!

Here it is, far left obviously........
    Last edited by Nessy; 5th July 2007 at 18:39.
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue

Neutral

Status
    this is a Facelift switch afak , but in the face lift its placed in the trim which is under the steering wheel in the left side. if u have email pm it and ill send u one picture

1st Gear

Status
    This is the adjuster switch on my pre-facelift B5 A4.

Last edited by inigoj; 5th July 2007 at 18:28.

Neutral

Status
    aha , in the facelifts its in the driver left hand side almost under the air vent , i sent him the picture

Neutral

Status
    hmmm, interesting how it is different on pre and post facelifts. thanks for the pictures, guys! i think i will see if one of these comes up on ebay.co.uk for the pre-facelifts.

so my next question is what exactly does it do? it adjusts the level of the headlights? how would that work on the prefacelifts that dont have projectors?

we didnt get this here in the us, so that is why i am asking here. i would probably use this for some foglights i am thinking about getting while keeping it all nice an oem looking!
    Last edited by 4Ring Jelly; 5th July 2007 at 20:24.

Neutral

Status
    I will adjust your low beam in front of you suitable for your sight , for what u wanna look in ebay uk? for the switch or what?

Neutral

Status
    thanks, i thought that was what it was for, but i wasnt certain.

and yes, i am going to keep my eye on ebay.co.uk for a pre-facelift version of that switch(since my car is pre-facelift)

Neutral

Status
    aha , u dont have it in the state? , why dont u just order it from the dealer? its not expensive , i can give u the part number if u wants

Neutral

Status
    no, we didnt get that option(along with many other cool features/options/cars) here in the US.

that would be cool if you could give me the part number for the prefacelift switch and i can see if my dealer can get it for me.

Neutral

Status
    here we go , Left hand drive cars need this switch , 8D0 941 301 C (01c) is the color of the switch satin black. , price is 26 euro so it will be aprox 35 usd , tell your dealer to order it for u and if he said no just contact www.vagparts.com and they will supply you with it. if u want any information just tell me ill answer u within 15 mints cause ill have supper now.

cheers

VW + Audi mad

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Ring Jelly
    hmmm, interesting how it is different on pre and post facelifts. thanks for the pictures, guys! i think i will see if one of these comes up on ebay.uk for the pre-facelifts.

so my next question is what exactly does it do? it adjusts the level of the headlights? how would that work on the prefacelifts that dont have projectors?

we didnt get this here in the us, so that is why i am asking here. i would probably use this for some foglights i am thinking about getting while keeping it all nice an oem looking!
    Both pre-facelift and facelift cars have the adjustment motors (different motors are used though) and they are located at the base of the headlight.
    When the dash switch is moved the motors simply move the headlight reflector (and so the light beam) to point further down........
    Its a simple manual system, as you load your vehicle up and bring the back end down more there's a greater chance to dazzle oncoming traffic by virtue of your headlights pointing upwards more.So, with no passengers just driver position 0 on switch, more laden I, until fully laden position III.
    Its not just Avants, saloons have them too , though I can't say I've ever used mine in anger on the A4, nor in the 5 years I owned the 80 Avant, so unless you regularly carry huge loads in the back of your car or tow heavy trailers I think they are a bit of a gimmick?
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue

Neutral

Status
    alright! thanks for all of the help guys!

and kninio, just checking, is that part number for the pre facelift part pictured in this thread, or is that the one you sent me a picture of?

Neutral

Status
    4ringJelly: its for the facelift its the one you need for your car not the pre on in those pictures

Neutral

Status
    why do i need the facelift version? i have the prefacelift so my dash looks like this so i could do either version:

i kind of want to lean towards the one for prefacelifts because, a) i have a prefacelift, and b) it is less permanent/less opportunity for me to screw up when cutting into the dashboard.

does anyone have the part number for the pre-facelift piece, so that i can have the option of going either way when i decide to do this.
    Last edited by 4Ring Jelly; 5th July 2007 at 22:18.

Neutral

Status
    oh , i thought your car is facelift so just get one like those , do u want the part number for it?

Neutral

Status
    yes, i would like the part number for it, just so that i can have the option of going either way.

curious, how do you find the part numbers?
    Last edited by 4Ring Jelly; 5th July 2007 at 22:23.

Neutral

Status
    the number is 8D0 941 301 , 01C The color of it satin black.

I have the electronic part catalog price it like 28 usd must be there or a bit more. i may have one but i am not really sure , check first if u can get it from your dealer.

let me know if u need any other help

cheers

5th Gear

Status
    on the wifes Passat i turned the switch to position 2 then manually raised the headlights on the adjusters in the slam panel. that way if it's laden i can go to 3 to drop them a bit or if i'm on a semi empty road i can flick it to 1 or 0 to give me a bit more range without dazzling other drivers
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kninio
    the number is 8D0 941 301 , 01C The color of it satin black.

I have the electronic part catalog price it like 28 usd must be there or a bit more. i may have one but i am not really sure , check first if u can get it from your dealer.

let me know if u need any other help

cheers
    i think that is all should need. thanks for all of your help! i tip my hat to you for your help haha

good luck finding what you need for the timing belt.

cheers

4th Gear

Status
    Just a thought won't you need the head light motors aswell?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v
    Just a thought won't you need the head light motors aswell?

I forget , also he need the harness for it , how will you wire them?

you have no worry about me i can help u as much as you want any time you wants
    Last edited by kninio; 6th July 2007 at 00:20.

Neutral

Status
    havent figured it all out yet, but the figuring is for when i have the stuff.

Neutral

Status
    search on ebay uk for the motors or ebay germany

adjuster motor is 4D0 941 295 , price it new 62+ euro

i can get them here for like 50 usd the pair

Neutral

Status
    to be honest, although the headlight height adjustment is super cool, my initial thoughts for this switch wasto go about using them as an auxillary lights switch.
    for the winter i am hoping to hook up a pair of Hella 500 amber foglights and Hella 500 driving lights and was thinking that this would be a perfect oem-intergration switch. i could use level 0 to have them all off. level I for just the driving lights, level II for just the fog lights, and level III for them all to be on.

however, the more i think about it, being able to make the headlights go up and down would be really neat and no one else here in the US would have it! i plan to upgrade to "ecode" headlights with in the next couple months--whether i get replica pre-facelift 2 piece s4 headlights or 1 piece facelift headlights, i assume that they will have the motor that would allow this to work.

4th Gear

Status
    I am not sure that the head lights come with the motors as i bought some two piece projectors and they just came with a little plate put in with a metal bit holding the light level.if you have a look behind your lights you will be able to see the motor if you have them as it will be on the side of the head lights closest to the radiator. you can get the motors for about £14ish i think and the wireing loom might already be there. I am not sure if you will be able to use the switch to power different lights. for starters i don't think it will be able to take the current and also it would most likely just put one set of lights on at a time. you could just get anouther of fog light switche and open it up and change the led so its a different colour or something.

1st Gear

Status
    The headlight level switches are analog and infinitely variable, the levels 0-3 are just there for convenience.

I would go with the one piece Valeo Halogen units, as the halogen low beam projector lens produces a more colourful blue-ultraviolet cutoff pattern when used with xenons.