spark plug question

jazzyc

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what the correct plugs are for my 1.8T 2000

Halfords do Bosch plugs for £19.95 and say there are only one type listed.

They also do NGK but it says there are 2 types listed depending on engine code and these cost £24.95

when i rang my local car store the quotes i was getting were £10 plus per plug!

I have been told a set from audi are £47 for the set.

how can the prices vary so much? i guess that audi are fitting the bosch plugs ?

are they the wrong ones listed at halfords (allthough they say there are only one type) and why to the prices vary so much?

Snoop has said he had some good experiance with some bkr6e and they were very cheap of fleabay about £6 i think he said.

You can get a full set of the NGK Platinum PFR6Q off ebay for less than £30 inc postage. Those are the plugs that are meant to be in the S3 not sure if they are the same plugs as a 1.8T though but if they are good enough for the S3 they must be good enough for the 1.8T. I did also have a look at putting in the plugs myself as i have with most of my other cars but this car is a b**ch to get the plugs out of. It took me an hour to get the first one out just to check out the condition of them and that looked like the easiest one to do as the other 3 had all manner of other bits of engine stuff blocking the access to the plugs. My plugs looked ok so have left the others alone and i think i will bite the bullet and pay for a garage to replace them for me and i will provide the plugs when it comes to replacing the set.

I would get the NGK BKR6E plugs for the 1.8T.

Are under a tenner for the 4 of them. Need replaced every 5K but is an easy job. Gap them at 0.028 if chipped and 0.032 is standard.

petewon said:
I was quoted £52 from halfords and ended up paying £20 from motorworld, try there. Do you know the engine code? What BHP is it?

heres the Bosch online catalogue, select your vehicle and it will tell you the part numbers. http://ecat-online.bosch.de/toc/de/5GdweCk6IaGVZJdZalfQYa34.srv?dlg=CtrDefault&action=SetJavaVersion11

my engine code is APU

They seem to list a couple of types if i am reading it right
super four fr8

super plus fr7 dpp

But as i said i am sure halfords only listed the one type. just cant remember what ones it was

so it seems there are a couple of choices on the plugs then, standard copper ones and then the platinum ones. Difference seems to be that the coppers do give good results but only last 5,000ish miles and the platinums i guess last about 20,000miles and are twice the price.

I guess thats why i am getting variations in prices

just ran a search but it still seems to be quite a unclear area.

lots of types being mentioned. still dont really know what are the best to go for.

NGK platinum...no brainer ......£50 for these and they last

Just to add my car had NGK PFR6Q in it before I changed to the BKR6E ones.

The PFR6Q are probably what Audi put in it in the factory as my car only had 18k on it when I got it.

just been looking through my service stuff that came with the car and it had some plugs fitted at 88,000miles. The car has now done 100,000miles.

Thlugs that were fitted were at audi and part number v101 000 063 AA at £10.40 each plus vat.

anyone know what type these would have been? i.e cooper or platinum etc

also

are irridium better than platinum and if so why?

have just found some ngk BKR6EIX (irridium) at £30 for the set