A4 Avant Q2.8 Tip problems

mikeavant

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.

Just recently joined this forum, and have to admit to spending more time reading the posts and info than doing almost anything else (like work etc)!!:thumbsup:

Anyway, I have purchased a 2.8Q Avant (99MY) which has just started to through a few wobblies at me.
The Tiptronic box is displaying some unusual characteristics - evident by the PRND432 beiung fuilly lit in RED. This i need to diagnose (somehow), and then I have also noticed (as has everyone else driving behind me) that my reversing lights are permanently on regardless of whether the main lights are on, turn signals being used, brake lights or wiper systems etc. Bizarre.:scared2:

Otherwise, I am very pleased with it.

I know that I could use VAG COM for the auto box problems and am trying to get my copy talking to the car (not having much luck there either LOL!)

But with the reverse lights, I cannot find any info at all.
Can anyone provide some advice or shed some light on this subject?

It would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

I

Taken from elsawin the audi workshop system.
"Selector lever position indicator -Y6
◆ Fitting location => Fig. 01-28
◆ Blank gear display is an indication of emergency running with gearbox control unit not active
◆ Fully illuminated gear display is an indication of emergency running with gearbox control unit active

Hi.

Thanks for the info, but not sure which aspect of the system is actually faulty.
Have checked the cars history, and it has in the past suffered from water logged gearbox ECU (replaced in 2006). I have cleared the drain tubes in the bulkhead, but cannot find the tiptronic ECU.

At least the control unit still functions.

Thanks for your help peeps.

Michael

Again from elsawin
Fitting location of automatic gearbox control unit -J217
Control unit is located in front of right seat beneath floor covering in footwell.
Removing and installing automatic gearbox control unit -J217
Remove lower right A-pillar trim and right door sill panel trim in area of front right door
Detach floor covering from right inner sill in area of front door and fold back approx. 20 cm.
I think what this is saying is that there is a fault in the system but it is not the contol module. The reversing lights are engaged through a switch on the gearbox somewhere. Since your reversing lights are on all the time this would be a good place to start

its possible you have a faulty rev light switch or damaged wiring to it, the switch is prob also used by the gearbox ecu so a false reading may cause your selector display to show the emergency running mode. the car may think its going backwards when its not. so i agree with enda1 - investigate the rev lights first.

Thanks very much for the info. At last a forum that really help people.

Hope I can return the favour one day.

Will get the sensor checked now.

Michael