Carbonio air intake - my experience

Rich

Rollin on boost mother hubbards
Reaction score
Wooooooo just got back from testing my car post Carbonio install - my first mod on the A4!

Gave it a good ragging around and nothings exploded or caught fire which is good. No engine warning lights, over heating, dodgy smells. The only problem I have is my right indicator now blinks at double the speed since the installation - I havnt had chance to check it out but I've been told it might be one of the bulbs? - We did have to remove the right hand front light cluster to get decent access to a clip...

No noticeable gains performance wise really, maybe slightly more consistant and responsive while pulling. The most noticeable difference is the sound, a nice induction note (everything else is currently stock) and when you lift off the gas a wonderfull woooooooooosh sound is released, I was grining like a mofo, such a difference just makes the car more fun to drive!

Complaints! the website says it should take about an hour, it took us about 3 hours - that was me (mechanically retarded) my girlfriends dad (been a mechanic all his life on bikes, cars, trucks) and my mate who is into modding cars.

The instructions are crap - bad pictures and there seems to be a few diff layouts of the engine bay as certain things wernt labled right or came as expected. A lot of the time it felt like the manual was written before the product was completed as there are a few obvious changes.

The biggest problem was fitting the stock air scoop to the front of the carbon fiber intake at the end - its a slightly different shape and took some butchering and fairy liquid to fit. in the end we wrapped it in electrical tape just to make sure theres a good seal (pictured).

Apart from that it wasnt too bad just a lot of messing about trying to access clips and line it up properly to screw it in. Put it this way I'm ****** when it comes to removing it lol. Will have to get some new screws.

Also one of the air pipes they dont provide a replacement clip for so its just stuck on with a rubber seal for the moment (solid as though so i think it will be ok) - also pictured.

^ Finished result (crap quality sorry)

^^ sealed with leccy tape!

^ missing clip thing

I was glad I had an experienced chap there as I wouldnt of been able to do it on my own. Am happy with the results though and should sound even nicer with a remap next month and a new DV.

Just thought I'd share my experience incase anyones interested.

You obviously missed my previous post where I included a coloured pdf install guide.

It may be too late now but maybe it will help somone else.
Also took me 3hours on my own!!!

Link to install guide

Nah I found that PDF mate, but our fsking printer ran out of "yellow" and refused to print it! Sods law so we had to make do with the crappy b&w version.

Aaaah well drove to work this morning with the windows down just to hear that turbo spin up and errr "blow off?". Is that sad?

Does sound nice though am glad I did it. Learnt the location of a few usefull things like the MAF and that round breather type valve we had to take off.

Might be even more sad and do a 0-60 video of it. :)

It doesnt really improve you 0-60 maybe makes acceleration a tiny bit more efficient but the growl does sound nice and I wouldnt have it any other way now.

Aaah yeah I know it wont be noticeably quicker, I just meant so people who have never heard one could check out the sound ;]

glad you are liking the intake noise, i have a little vid of mine in a tunnel i could post up to compare the sound, im running the bmc carbon airbox.

Cheers, was gonna make a video but I couldnt find anywhere to rest the camera while driving ;X

Fixed the indicator problem as well, was due to me not plugging it back in :D That'll do it :)

Nice write up Rich :o.k: - Biglockie put me on to this part of the site - As somewhere that has used the Carbonio CAI. (A lot more the the B7 side of the coin anyway)

Can I get your opinion on the sound from Carbonio CAI ? ? ?
The reason I ask is my brother had an induction kit fitted on his Subaru and although it sounded great - It could get a little tiresome. And when I say tiresome I mean that on an average motorway journey, doing a steady 70+ , it made a noise like an asthmatic UNO Turbo with a collapsed lung.

I don't mind the noise when I'm nailing It. But on a day to day basis I could do without the grief - Also, its an expensive mod to not want in 4 weeks time, if you know what I mean.

No no, its a good noise - it makes a nice low induction note when you put the foot down, especially at lower revs. While cruising or just driving without nailing it its silent - you dont lnotice it :)

Same with the turbo sound - if you are kaning it you get a pretty loud blow off sound compared to stock (which I like :D)