Clutch biting high

ScoobyA4

ding dang do
Reaction score
is my clutch going? there is a lot of travel before my clutch bites, then a fairly small amount of movement before being fully engaged.

Any help please?

its nore than likely it is on its way out, how many miles?

The quote I got from 'Mr Clutch' was -
"The cost of a replacement clutch including parts,
labour, VAT and a 2 year/20,000 mile nationwide warranty is £ 310.99"
Which I thought was pretty good. havent used them yet, but will need to soon.

My clutch has always been near the top of the pedal, been like it as long as i've had the car (nearly 2 years). I have been expecting it to 'go' but as yet it's been fine and the bite point hasn't got any higher. I'm sure I read somewhere that audi clutches do have a tendancy to bite quite a long way out.

Hope this helps

Matt

have to agree with matt, had my car 7 years, always been high biting point, i find half the time im lazy and just push it down half way. =)

Stringster said:
The quote I got from 'Mr Clutch' was -
"The cost of a replacement clutch including parts,
labour, VAT and a 2 year/20,000 mile nationwide warranty is £ 310.99"
Which I thought was pretty good. havent used them yet, but will need to soon.

I think thats pretty good, although I think i'd prefer to supply my own clutch and let them fit it.

Mine cost £400 from Audi 2yrs ago. The telltale sign mine was on it's way out was the juddering. The biting point's about half way.

my clutch was always biting high from the first day i got it. i drove it for 2 years, and just had it replaced. my mechanic said it was self adjusting, at first it was really low, but now its back to normal, quite high again, and its brand new the clutch... thats probably not any help to you, but thought id let you know anyway.

ScoobyA4 said:
juddering? when and what you mean?

Slight judder through the clutch pedal but only when setting off and trying to make a spritely start (if that's possible in a NA 1.8? :think: ). It wasn't excessive, just started noticing more and more so decided to get it done along with the release bearing.