Getting ready

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Here is a sneaky pic of my engine nearly ready to go in. I aim to remove the old engine and box by monday, My K04-15 should be here by then too
WOOHOO I cant wait :jump:

engine.jpg

damn that looks nice! whos putting it in for you? or are you doing it yourself?

Doing it myself,at the end of the day,its a bolt in and bolt out job,(i hope)

Its less work to swap the engine than to buy a 1.8t car and swap all of my mods over IMO,also its a learning curve.I hope to learn a lot about the turbo engine while i am at it

well good on you myman, shes a clean looking lump. its going to be like driving a new car.

Looks good, should bung the DV on the throttle body side while the engine is out.

Then it diverts cold air back into the system than hot air.

Also makes it easier to access.

Is easy to do.

Good luck m8 looks really nice.. what did you do to the engine after you bought it to get it to where it is now?:hubbahubba:

rasA4

Cheers guys,I will look into moving the DV tomorrow,i hope it drives ok,lol

I have has the cam cover off to get it powder coated,changed the cambelt,waterpump,thermostat,i also whipped the sump off to ensure the pickup was clear and that there was no sludge.

I have a new clutch and flywheel to go on too.I cleaned the wiring loom today and made sure all the connectors looked sound.I just hope the gear oil and turbo turn up monday/tuesday while the car is in bits.Hopefully the inlet manifold (a spare one) will be back from being powder coated so i can fit it before chucking the engine in too

Looks great. I'll look forward to seeing it this year. I might make it to GTI International but not sure yet. Need to get the coolant leak sorted on my car. Anyway, Keep us updated.

good luck mate, always nice to see some work in progress pics

Looks good, maybe you should get some alloy vernier pulleys....

Thats the old one coming out in the pic.I was temted to buy a set of ally pulleys from ebay, but i heard that they wernt a good fit to the AEB engine

Gonna start with OEM first,i have the loom and ECU ,maybe look at the emerald later,depends on cost of the remap

I didnt get the clocks, but with VAG-com you can change an ECU easily, its swapping the dash thats hard to do as the skc code is needed

4 hrs today saw my poor car like this, but cleaner as i cleaned all the crude off from under the bay to get at all the nooks and crannys whilst apart
emptybay.jpg

21052007102.jpg

WOW very impressed Mark. My good man, good luck on the cirurgical tranplant. Hope it works!

im looking foward to seeing your response when you drive it. let the boost be with you. =)

Todays progress, 2 belts on order,the water pump one and a shorter alternator one as i have done away with the viscous fan.
22052007106.jpg

Can anyone identify this plug?? All the other connectors went in fine and match up, but this one has no where to go,is it spare? I have had the haines manual oyt and cannot even see the colours mentioned at all,also has anyone an AEB throttle cable they could sends me ASAP,will paypal

22052007105.jpg

I thought that,but too many pins(3) and the brake fluid one isnt part of the engine loom sadly,cheers tho

Does anyone fancy taking a peak under their cover to see if this connector exists?:thumbsup:

ive not got one of them, but i also dont have a turbo :( cracking progress mark. Nice to see the power cable route of gods in action there (although i drilled through the box not that rubber grommet)

Oh, and the cards turned up today, a couple of clips broken but meh.

Ok guys, here we are,she isnt running but thats due to the altitude sensor missing,which should be here tomorrow,and so should the throttle cable ( didnt occour to me i would need a new one,lol):sorry:

Apparently the altitude thingy, inteveens and cuts feed to the ECU from one of the knock sensors and the hall/cam sensor,hence her not running yet.She holds water and oil,turns over nice and even,just need to wait till the post in the morning

To dispel a myth, an ECU can be coded to a dash no problems without the SKC or dealer intervention, i just followed the instructions on the Ross-tech site,i clicked go and the key icon stopped flashing,woohoo:jump:

The bay as a whole,note the front leccy fan so i could remove the viscous one
23052007107.jpg

Decated and ready to go
23052007113.jpg

Still waiting for the powder coated manifold
23052007114.jpg

And a pretty exhaust pic,lol
23052007117.jpg

You need to change your sig to Zero power now :)

I have to say you have done a great job.

Question again did you keep your box or go with a 1.8t box?

docurley said:
You need to change your sig to Zero power now :)

I have to say you have done a great job.

Question again did you keep your box or go with a 1.8t box?

For the short term i have had to keep my 'box :sorry: ,as the 1.8t one needs 108mm splined drive flanges and mine has 100mm ones, other than that they would be a straight swap. So i am keeping my eyes open for some flanges, they are probably still on the driveshafts from the car i got the engine and box from :faint:

Shame i had to remove my 'box to find this out tho :blownose:

Just wanted to say I know sod all about car engines, I wish I did this is really interesting and great to see the work in progress pics as you go. Much respect (y)

Nice work Mark. Hope all the bits from my brother have been of use.

Look forward to catching up and seeing your handy work in the flesh at GTI International.

yes i second that! Great Job, hopefully gonna be at GTI Int as well

top effort, very clean install. did you find where the plug went? will check mine

The plug goes to a barometric altitude sensor, cost me £25 posted from 4 ring spares, i need an inducter ring now and then should get me rid of the code i have, otherwise she starts ok, just doesnt keep going unless i keep the revs to like 5k,lol

The ring should be at VW for me tomorrow to collect

Simon (AKA Madkebab), the airbox,flywheel,clutch is all from your Marks car,did he get his golf done after?

I think i have a faulty ECU as the hall sensor fault i have stays the same regardless as to which one i fit. I now have the right inducer ring and she has the same symptoms .

Any one live in south wales that would let me try an ECU to see if it works?

Or anyone have a spare AEB DBC Ecu spare they would like to ship to me ASAP?

Please help,i am at my wits end