Seat repairs

s4mark

Reaction score
My drivers seat right hand leg bolster seems to have collapsed and gone all squidgy and lost its shape. I have heard this is a pig of a job to do and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if they know of any good upholsters who may be able to sort it.

I know its nothing major but apart from that the leather interior is in unmarked condition so would obviously like to get it sorted.
P.S I live in Surrey but am prepared to travel to a well recommended company.
Thanks

if the seats are anything like a golf gti they're not that difficult to remove and strip, 10 mins will see it out of the car then just release the clips that hold the cover in place to see what's broken. AFAIK all the seat components are available seperately, prolly a spring or clip that's come adrift

shineydave said:
if the seats are anything like a golf gti they're not that difficult to remove and strip, 10 mins will see it out of the car then just release the clips that hold the cover in place to see what's broken. AFAIK all the seat components are available seperately, prolly a spring or clip that's come adrift

Was a bit hesitant to remove it the other day myself as I think it has an Airbag in it and am not sure the correct procedure to remove it without setting it off and killing myself lol

Don't worry, there's no chance of your airbag exploding in your face during the removal (unless someone drives into you really hard at the same time!). I had my seats out the other week and it was really straight forward.

1) Pull the pin out at the front of the central guide rail (in the middle underneath the front of the seat) with a pair of pliers and remove the rubber thingy.

2) Remove the screw plug (plastic screw covering thingy) from the plastic cover at the back of the guide rail next to centre console and remove the screw. The plastic cover will just come straight off.

3) Unscrew the plastic cover at the back of the other guide rail and remove it.

4) Slide the whole seat back until the central guide rail just comes free at the front (not too far or you'll tear the wires).

5) Tilt the seat back and remove the electrical connectors

6) Push the seats fully back, making sure not to get the base of the seat rail caught in the carpet.

7) Wrestle your seat out of the car

Voila!