changing gear and diff oil

pt7550

Reaction score
Done a mini service this w.e. ( gen audi filter cheaper than pattern??)and cleaned plugs
now want to do the gear and diff oil
1st i know where the drain for the gearbox is but :sorry: where do i fill it? and with what and how much ?

2nd diff(s) on the quattro 2.8 are they drainable, from where? and do we recommend it?:no:

cheers ears:icon_thumright:

Genuine as in genuine boxed? or Hengst?

Genuine boxed parts are always more expensive than any pattern, whoever quoted you was wrong or prices incorrect.

The fill hole is on the side of the diff. The one on the rear diff is on the drivers side.

You would be best using a seringe(sp) to pump the new oil in as it takes a while running it in.

You fill till its inline with the fill plug. i.e. starting to run out a little.

I did mine a few months ago.

It stinks the old stuff!!

Phantom_A4 said:
Genuine as in genuine boxed? or Hengst?

Genuine boxed parts are always more expensive than any pattern, whoever quoted you was wrong or prices incorrect.

Went to my 'local' autoparts place quoted £18, I queried they checked?
then rung Halfrouds and they initially couldnt find a 2.8Q in the A4 range (confidence inspireing i know) but then said £18....said he could get from a.n. other supplier one for £12 but the other was recommended

so went to the dealer and it was £10.45+vat in a nice audi box with a reciept and a free sweet from the fox on the welcome desk :hubbahubba:

AND they have started doing an 'older car' scheme on labour prices ...
price for 4wheel alignment went from £159 down to £119 after telling them it was an 98R

Didnt look that busy at £100+vat per hr.........:tumble:

Soupie69uk said:
The fill hole is on the side of the diff. The one on the rear diff is on the drivers side.

You would be best using a seringe(sp) to pump the new oil in as it takes a while running it in.

You fill till its inline with the fill plug. i.e. starting to run out a little.

I did mine a few months ago.

It stinks the old stuff!!

cheers fella
i expect the same for the gearbox then.....?

I may be wrong but I think the refil on the gearbox was different.

You need a fancy tool to undo the gearbox oil though.

Is a tamper-proof spline jobbie. Is a heafty socket, my mate had to order one in cost about £30 I think.