obd cable help

a4singh

Reaction score
hi all,

i bought an obd II cable off ebay a while back, and have only tried to get it working today.... Whe i plug it in it comes up with the installation thing saying 'USB<-->Serial' then asking me to install it... i didnt get any installation files with it or anything... can anybody recommend anything to get it wokring, or even suggest a new cable that i could buy? :think:

thanks...

what software? make sure you have the right version for your cable.
I had the wrong version of rosstech VAGCom and it didnt work with my serial cable either

well to get that working, i need to install my cable first, but dont have the drivers cus where i bought it from didnt give it to me... i just realised...

wud u know of a cable on ebay that wud work correctly? i need both serial and usb.... thanks mate!

I bought an eBay special but you don;t get all the functionality of the VAGCOm software unless you buy their cable.
You can have my serial cable if you want! cost me &#163;15, well worth it for the airbag reset alone!

jcb, will your serial cable work with vagcom 409.1? if so, how muc would you want for it posted? also, i need a usb calbe also, cus my laptop does not have a serial port! wanted the serial one for some other software i had, but the usb for vagcom!

anyway, let me know how much u want for the serial cable of urs....

You can get a usb to serail convertor i use them all the time for connecting cisco cables to my non serial tablet.

If you d/l the drivers off this website it should work
http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/AppNotes.htm

After the USB-Serial part it installs a virtual com port, check device manager after this is installed and it will give you the com port number which you can configure vag-com for.

I've got mine running perfectly in Vista.

thanks guys ill take a look at this today, hopefully i get it wokring and will be able to check my car out!!! ill let you know a bit later on how it goes...

Jpc, thanks mate, that website worked and it installed the cable... ive set it to com port 2 becuase com 3 and 4 are taken, and vagcom seems to only have com 1 2 3 4 and usb... hope it works when i go to test it out in the car!

Nae worries buddy, mine installed @ com4 and there was no need to change.

Good luck

thanks jpc, tested it out, it worked read codes, but stopped cus i need to login, i think i need to learn how to use the program properly, but will be good when i know!