power steering fluid

205man

Reaction score
was out in the car today and was stuck in traffic jam for nearly 2 hours when i eventualy got of the motorway junction and turned at the roundabout the steering made a strange groaning noise in the car,

so when i checked it when we stopped and it could be heard outside but mainly only from passenger side.

i checked fluid when it was cold and it doesnt even touch dipstick.

so ive looked all under the car and steering as far i can see without removing all the covers and cant see any leaks etc.

i did mention on here last week how i had smoke coming form under the car now wondering if the 2 are connected and i have a leak somewhere, although i had no smoke since or today and no problems,

when i drove the car back after i had cooled down it was fine and no noises since?????.

i get some fluid in the morning and keep an eye on it

is it corect that you can only get the fluid from main dealer of places like gsf/eurocar parts? if so how much is it from the dealer

alan

205man said:
was out in the car today and was stuck in traffic jam for nearly 2 hours when i eventualy got of the motorway junction and turned at the roundabout the steering made a strange groaning noise in the car,

so when i checked it when we stopped and it could be heard outside but mainly only from passenger side.

i checked fluid when it was cold and it doesnt even touch dipstick.

so ive looked all under the car and steering as far i can see without removing all the covers and cant see any leaks etc.

i did mention on here last week how i had smoke coming form under the car now wondering if the 2 are connected and i have a leak somewhere, although i had no smoke since or today and no problems,

when i drove the car back after i had cooled down it was fine and no noises since?????.

i get some fluid in the morning and keep an eye on it

is it corect that you can only get the fluid from main dealer of places like gsf/eurocar parts? if so how much is it from the dealer

alan

Go to dealers and its around £6-7 and its a good sized bottle too. And it is a VW/AUDI fluid that you need.

I had this the other week. Groaned until it was warm when the levels changed.
I got some from Car Parts and Accessories and it's been fine ever since.
Think it cost me about 8 quid for a small bottle but it has to be the same type as directed on the filler cap.

I have been told that they do use a bit of fluid and this is normal.
My old mans Audi 80 does it to and my mates A4 does it aswell.

Since refilling mine its never budged, that was last year. I must have a good dealer as I got a litre bottle for 7 quid, and thats the genuine VW/Audi stuff. Funnily enough I had an Audi 80 before my A4 and the 80 used no oil or steering fluid, just loved petrol lol.

Yes only use VAG mineral oil, the high street stuff can knacker the system over time. It's only £8 for a litre bottle from any VAG dealer.

The leak is normally at the front end of the car where the rubber hoses join to the metal cooling pipes. I have a very slow leak on mine. It drips onto the undertray so it is difficult to spot unless you take this off. The only fix is to replace the rubber pipes (about £120 I think). Mine has used less than 1\2 a litre in the past 4 years and 40,000 miles. I can live with that!