1.8 20V ADR fuelling/power delivery probs...

rick the spud

Reaction score
just bought a 1996 A4 Avant 1.8 SE and it seems to have a few power delivery probs.

while pulling away, if the revs drop below 2k, the engine almost dies and doesn't want to get going at all. and out on the open road at constant throttle you can feel it surging like you're very slightly throttling on and off.

my first thoughts were MAF, spark plugs, vacuum leak, lambda...

any ideas?

rick

It was the MAF on mine,it took away the flat spot etc. Do you know anyone with VAG-Com who can run any codes to see if there is any underlying problems??

Have you found a solution as i have exactly the same problem with mine. Nothing showed up when plugged into vagcom and i don't just want to throw parts at it. Mine has covered 108000.

cleaned the MAF and it made a slight bit of difference, it definitely pulls away easier but still does it at really low revs, and surges slightly when driving.

thought it might be the oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold?

I also sometimes feel the throttle pedal pulsing, mainly at small throttle openings. I cleaned my maf and it didn't make a lot of difference.

Are you any closer to finding a solution??

scanned it with a vag com today:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 8D - Audi A4 B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,25,35,45,55,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 8D0 907 557 C
Component: 1,8L R4/5V MOTR HS D08
Coding: 04001
Shop #: WSC 00000
10 Faults Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
00561 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
15-00 - Please Register/Activate
16711 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0327 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17734 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1326 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17733 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1325 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17736 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 4: Regulation Limit Exceeded
P1328 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16500 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0116 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17978 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1570 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

dunno what it means though!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 8D0 907 557 C
Component: 1,8L R4/5V MOTR HS D08
Coding: 04001
Shop #: WSC 00000
10 Faults Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Possible earlier battery problem

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Dodgy speed sensor,I think it runs from the cam on these

17736 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 4: Regulation Limit Exceeded
P1328 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Poor quality fuel can cause knock or maybe the rear sensor is faulty

16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
And the MAf as already stated.

I would try clearing them and see what comes back, then deal with that

it's getting worse...

when cold, and trying to pull away, it completely dies, to the point of nearly not moving and stalling - which when half way across a junction with lorries coming towards u is not fun.

not very good on fuel either...

went to see my mate who's a mechanic with a vag-com. scanned it and it came up with MAF sensor as above. put on a new MAF (£80), and it's still doing it!!!
:keule:

it's a lot better than before, maybe half as bad, and it almost goes after driving for a few minutes, but it's still most definitely there.

any other ideas?
(apparently engine speed sensor can be a bit of an anomaly!)

got to change the thermostat, re: thread -
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=39359
but not sure that would affect it...

had a bit of a search around, and found that the dual water temp sender with the 4 wires coming out of it at the back of the engine block are prone to failing, and following any suspicions it should be replaced with a genuine item.

so a trip to audi, and a chat with the parts man, revealed that every car they get in with rough idling/running, one of the first things they do is replace the MAF and dual water temp sender as these are prone to failing in older cars. i've already done the MAF so a sender was purchased - 059 919 501, £22.80 + VAT.

just fitted it now (5 min job) and taken it for a test run. after the first few miles (after the ecu had woken up i guess) it seems to have improved/cured it. no sluggish pull aways, better throttle response, and better performance. is this right?

Maybe you could also perform a throttle adjustment.
Just disconnect the battery for 30 mins. Reconnect.
Turn the ignition on BUT DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE ON.
Wait 2 mins. The Throttle response should be way better.

That's weird.
I had the same problem with the pulling off around the 2K RPM zone. Did what I told you to do and fixed everything. Now, you may well have some problem elsewhere. On that topic, I do not have a VAGcom so I can't really help you. Either, you find a guy through this forum who can help you, either you take it to a stealer for a full check (I got quoted £90 for full VAGcom+vital parts check)... Anyway, I have the same spec as your motor. Mine has 85K miles but it feels ok. Just a bit of a delivery prob like you say but I suspect the MAF/Water Pump. Keep us posted. G Luck

think i've cured it. disconnected it again, cleaned out TB while i was waiting, reconnected, waited for adaptation, and seems to be fine.

still doesn't seem 100%.

Glad to be of service. I know it's not 100% but I would think it should be much better. The trick now is to fix all the bits and bobs which are not right. I am at the same stage!

Good luck with you motor!

seems to be running nearly perfect, other than a surging problem, and the feeling of being a bit starved about half the time. sometimes u floor it and it takes off, other times it feels a bit short of power.

while accelerating at constant throttle position it accelerates as if u were on and off the throttle slightly, or someone was slightly pinching the fuel line!

Up to now I've:
- changed MAF
- changed dual water temp sender
- cleaned throttle body
- performed throttle adaptation

any other ideas...

doubt it.

if i feather the throttle and drive slowly for a bit, then boot it, it takes off and goes like it should. otherwise it just feels a bit robbed of power and wants to go faster but somethings holding it back. u get a jerky kind of feeling when accelerating like the ecu can't make up it's mind how much fuel to put in.

did a vagcom and it only comes up with a mixture adaptation fault, and knock sensor faults (prob caused by the mixture fault!)

any ideas?

Hi rick the spud,

Sorry to resurrect the thread after more than 3 years, but did you ever get to the bottom of your Audi running problem? Your symptoms are exactly the same that I'm currently having with the same car (1.8E, ADR engine) and so I'd be very interested if you got any further with it! Have already tried cleaning MAF and changing coolant temp sensor, to no avail...

Thanks

-Frak

lack of power and hesitancy could be a vac line leak, a dodgy recirc valve or numerous other things.
does it idle OK?
if so turn it on then unplug the MAF, if it dies or stutters, coughs then your MAG "may" be OK. if nothing at all happens you MAF is "probably" shagged.
In my opinion cleaning them is often not much better than throwing them away. you are dealing with a very sensitive sensor.
worth replacing as a point of service on an older car anyway,

but as above, get it scanned. £10 eBay cable and an evaluation version of VAGCom will suffice to point you in the right direction