Fitting coilovers.

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
Well my 19s are on, fitted with 15mm H&R spacers, bought the wrong offset, cheap BBS CHs off ebay, well worth it though, the nicest wheels ever!

Coilovers arrived today, I've lowered a few cars in my time, not afraid getting the spanners out, but looking at Audi's multi link suspension I'm a little cautious. There's a lot going on in there, heard of a few nightmare bolts on the front.

Anyone done it themselves? Pain in the **** job or not? Weekend job?

Any advice/help appreciated.

Patience is the key and lots of wd40, i used a mixture of wd40,heat,and shock (hammer) to get my pinch blots out. Took around an hour a side just to remove the bolt by working back and forth when warm and tapping on the head of the bolt whilst turning. Once cool wire brush and flush with wd40,and watch the crap flood out,then rinse and repeat.

Easier than attempting to drill IMO

No amount of WD would let one of the pinch bolts loose on mine - ended up shearing the head off! Mine took just about a day all told but that was with going easy and not with coilovers (seperate springs/dampers).

I had to drill two of mine out as they were rusted in was very quick once the drill was out, keep the tip of the drill wet with oil and i drilled right throught the centre which released all the pressure and they came out easy after that.

So be prepared fingers crossed it goes smoothly for you though.

You lot talking about the pinch bolts for the upper arms ? mine came straight out ! easy job

Byzan A4 said:
Yeah thats the ones Phil, mine are now greased to hell and back, they almost undo themselves now,lol

Goosd stuff gotta love neverseaze

You get your rear suspension sorted out for mot ?

PhilR said:
Goosd stuff gotta love neverseaze

You get your rear suspension sorted out for mot ?
Sorry to hijack,but yeah. I ordered new shocks from GSF via FK,germany. In the mean time i had to do a small bodge and degrease and pressure wash mine for mot,as the shox will be another 2 weeks yet.So i am fully MOT'd with a self lube ing coilover