Quattro Sport Suspension.

Reaction score
Evening folks,

I'm looking at replacing my suspension and im in a bit of a quandry.

I dont want to sacrifice comfort as the roads up here are too bad for that, and I dont want to spend silly amounts of money - so coilovers are out.

I have decided I prefer H&R springs, so that bit is done, just what dampers should I go for :shrug:

Option 1 :Koni FSD

These are supposed to 'incorporate both comfort and control'. I've used Koni yellows before and tbh I thought they were way too harsh - they also had to be removed from car to be adjusted and I dont want the hassle. Fit and forget I say.

Option 2 : Bilstein B12

Some people report the Bilsteins as being too hard, but a while back I had an AC Schnitzer set (Bilstein shocks and eibach springs) fitted to an M3 and they were totally fine. Not sure how significant it is, but I believe these are gas dampers, rather than oil - would that make them harder or softer? A plus point here is that this kit already comes with H&R spring :icon_thumright:

Option 3 : Orignial Quat Sport dampers

I don't mind spending money, but I could just buy a set of oem quat sport dampers (trade) and use the H&R springs with them. Probably the cheapest option, but would the springs kill the dampers?

Your thoughts gentleman, would be appreciated.

Regards,

N

I have been running H&R Race spring on sport shocks for around 10 months and no problems at all.

So if you have the time I would try the sport shocks with the H&R Race springs then look at other shocks.

I'm planning to upgrade to the RS4 shocks I have but on other forums they recon the S4 shocks work well with lowerd springs.

im in a similar postion, i already have quattro sport suspension fitted as standard, but on of my rear dampers appears to be starting to leak and need to replace them but not sure with what?

how much are quattro sport dampers from main dealers??

I think given your choices the Billies look the best.I however will never look back to since upgrading to coilovers, the ride is improved and so is body control ( depite a blown shock,lol)

I think I am leaning towards the oem dampers, mostly because I don't want to risk loosing the comfort factor and have suspension that will rattle the car to death.

Byzan, as much as I like the idea of adj ride and height, I still think coilovers will be far too stiff for round here. Although they do give the car the perfect stance :thumbsup:

I'll give the dealer a ring next week and get a quote for a replacement set of sport dampers. However, if the price is silly I will have to come back and look at the other alternatives.

Cheers

N

Keep us posted on the results :)

Im currently thinking S4 shocks and H&R Springs or a complete H&R shock and spring setup as they can be adjusted for softness and sport etc.

Update: just off the phone with the very nice girl in the Audi service dept: £900 odd inc vat and fitting for 4 orig sport shocks and with me supplying springs. Parts £294, ex vat and fitting £539 ex vat.

Wasn't really surprised at the price. The parts I'll try and get trade anyway, but the labour cost is still pretty steep.

I'll try a couple of other places (like Star Performance) for quotes.

N

Lol, a cold shiver came over me at their mention Jpc - but thanks anyway.

Yeah I'll check out a few places and see what the general figure is. I used to have an ex-audi mechanic that would do it for next to nothing, but he would have the car for ages and ages.

Cheers

N