Rattly Wastegate

Fraser

Reaction score
The wastegate in my 97 Tsport is rattling when I let my foot off the gas pedal at lowish revs, can't hear it when windows are up and it isn't affecting performance at all...

however it is annoying and its niggling at me, can I replace the wastegate alone or is a new turbo required??? (400 exc VAT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

anyone else had this problem? would a turbo rebuild be a more economic option?

Thanks
F

you need to take the turbo off to do it... so best off at least getting it checked over while it is out...

you need to make sure the actuator pressure is set and checked... also make sure the exhaust housing has no large cracks in it..

the bearings and exhaust heat sheild (internal one) can be checked when its apart.

then a rebalance and some cut back on the turbine to help high speed spooling..... all helps.

Andy
GDI

What does it sound like, out of curiosity!? I don't know much about engines (only what I've learnt from mine going wrong all the time), but I've got a bit of a burble at low rev's when I ease off - thought it was the exhaust or DV but doesn't happen higher rev's?

thanks for the information, I don't understand it all but am tracking down a turbo man as I write...

Agirl - souds like a very light and rapid tack tack at lows revs when you let off, never when accelerating.

I was under the car for hours thinking it was a heat shield rattle..