metal on metal sound and rear wheel wobble

ScoobyA4

ding dang do
Reaction score
sorry for this chaps, but car are not my area of expertise! :D

i got my 1997 1.9tdi 110 A4, it had done less than 6k miles in the 2yrs the last owner had (old bloke, whose wife drives everywhere!) and spent the rest of the time in garage being polished! it had it a major wheel wobble and a metal on metal clunking noise (front drivers side i think). i've had 3 of the top arms replaced as they needed it, with the final one (passenger side) yet to be done. the clunking is still there when you go over rough ground. apparently all the other bushes / arms are fine. any ideas?

The wheel wobble was more than likely due to the front tires, which since i've replaced, has lessen the wobble. however, when i hit 70mph travelling up to 80mph there is a wobble which is most definately coming from the rear as the stearing wheel is stead throughout. I've yet to have tracking done due due to final arm being replaced, but i doubt that would cause the rear wobble. could this be the tires again? TBH i dont want to run out and pay £150+ to replace two legal tires to check if it is the tires. What can cause rear wheel (or percieved rear wheel) wobble? Should i just go replace the tires?

Cheers for any help offered...

I'd suggest the rear wheel bearing needs replacing... Or at least looking at by a mechanic.

When I got mine, the rear wheel was almost falling off!

Replaced this (along with rear discs and pads) and had all 4 wheels balanced and we're good to go.

Yep sounds like a wheel bearing, or your wheel tracking!

Bearings aren't expensive, neither is the tracking so it's not bad!

Bearing from eurocarparts is about £20 for the kit. tracking varies on garage really :)

Could also be a buckled wheel, no amount of balancing or tracking will sort that though.

is it a good bet then to have the tires changed regardless on the back? i would get the benefit out of them as i'm likely to do around 30-40k a year...

Scooby.. yeah it would be a good idea to change the rears, just because they have tread dosen't mean the tyre is good! especially if the car has stood for any length of time.

Did you get to the bottom of this as I have the same problem?

what wheels do you have?

19" RS6 reps, have swapped wheels over to check they are not buckled. Its from the offside rear.