Help I have driven through a flood!!!

Jules

Reaction score
Was out driving today when we came across a ford so misses decided it was my turn to drive, and you can guess what happened next, when we pulled out of the ford on the other side it just died on me, took a while to start loads of smoke etc limp mode light came on quite noisy like an end or something. I managed to drive it home still quite smoky though, the oil is starting to look milky now though, I also took out the glow plugs and turned it over to see if there was any water in there none came out though, took the air filter out and it was soaking wet. So I have just been and bought a new air,oil & fuel filter plus new oil and an engine flush to hopefully sort out the problem. Has anyone done this before? it was only about a foot deep. I also cleared the limp mode fault through VAGCOM but it didn't throw up any more errors unless there are any experts on vag.com on here to point me in the right direction of looking at something in particular.

How the hell did you manage to get your air filter wet, if it was only a foot deep? You must have driven in to it fast!

Considering your filter is soaking, i would have thought some moisture may have passed further into the engine, which explains the milkyness of the oil.

Do the flush thoroughly and you should be ok, depends how much moisture got in really!

Whoops,!! I hope that you havnt bent a con rod, i have heard of a few cases where water is drawn into a Diesel engine and when it attempts to compress it,BANG !!

Well I have changed the oil and filters hoping for the best still runs like a bag of ****, going to do a compression test in a bit see if that will throw anything up, when we where cranking it over we slackened off the unions on the diesel injectors but no3 didn't make a difference so I may go and get them re done, hoping I wont have to take the engine apart ill let you all know if there's any difference when we do the compression test. I suppose I should of said what car it is as well, it's an audi a4 1.9 td.

Phantom_A4 said:
How the hell did you manage to get your air filter wet, if it was only a foot deep? You must have driven in to it fast!

Considering your filter is soaking, i would have thought some moisture may have passed further into the engine, which explains the milkyness of the oil.

Do the flush thoroughly and you should be ok, depends how much moisture got in really!

No i was only doing about 10 miles an hour so don't know how it got in. Took the intercooler pipes off to get at the oil filter and there was some dribbles of water in there as well?

Also if I have bent a conrod is it easy to just replace them or is just go and get a short block or engine? and what sort of prices should I be looking at?

I did the same thing, hit over a foot of water at speed.

Sounded like it had ripped off part of the front of my car.

Luckily it just tore a strip of extra cooling matrix off the bottom of the radiator, without taking any water into the engine.

A high compression turbo diesel is the worst engine to get water in. Doesnt sound good if you have taken water into the cylinders as gaskets/seals, pistons, valves and rod's and sensors are prone to damage, i would also check exhaust manifold back & cat etc to see if anything has cracked from being suddenly cooled.

Jules said:
Also if I have bent a conrod is it easy to just replace them or is just go and get a short block or engine? and what sort of prices should I be looking at?

Anyone know what they are like to replace ie the conrods and i take it it's an audi part?

I hydrolocked an engine in my jeep going through about 4 foot of water before i fitted a snorkel.

I just bought another engine for £600 an stuck that in. Probably a lot easier job than buggering about with a modern diesel lump!

Good luck.

Well I have just purchased a 38,000 mile motor for 675 incl delivery so not to bad, considering I was about to rebuild a 159,000 motor probably going to cost all in about 500

Are you sure you have caused damage to the internals, ?
Conrods come out easy when you have the sump off, problem is on our cars is getting the sump off !! you either need to hoist the engine up or drop the subframe to get clearence.

The fact that your engine got wet I would be looking for an electrical fault.