Cambelt replacement interval

cyberdude

Reaction score
Website
www.sunseaker.co.uk
I am about to make an offer on an A4 2000 X reg with 76000 miles - just had second AVS service but no belt replaced yet. I am confused about when the cambelt should be changed. I thought it should be every 60000-80000 miles. However when I called Audi to ask why the belt wasn't replaced they said it should only be replaced at 120K miles. I thought this strange so called another dealer and they said 80K. I then called another and they said 80K but when I said I was told 120K by another dealer they double checked and said yes it should be 120K. Apparently for the 2000 models onwards the replacement interval is now 120K.

Any thoughts?

Had mine done at 80K. I'm sure Audi's superb warranty would cover a complete engine rebuild if the belt snapped at 118k, but do you feel that lucky?

You didn't state what engine / model but I'm looking at the ErWIN Audi Official workshop manual 'Maintenance' edition 10.97 I downloaded this last year. It states every A4 2000 > Long service Tooth belt replacement at 120,000km = 74,600 miles (Approx)

The Vehicles it lists off are as follows:

In addition to longLife service:

V Belt and ribbed belt: replace (4 cyclinder 5V petrol engines)
Ribbed belt: replace (4 cyclinder 2V petrol engines)
Ribbed belt: replace (V6 petrol engines)
Toothed belt: replace (4-cyl. 5V 1.8 litre turbo charged petrol engines)
Toothed belt: replace (V6 2.4Litre. 5V petrol engines)
Toothed belt, tensioner roller, idler wheel and tensioning lever for camshaft: replace (V6-2.7L engines AGB, AZB)
Toothed belt and tensioning roller: replace (2.8L. 5V Petrol engines)
toothed belt for camshaft and injection pump: renew (V6 TDI engines)

I can't believe a service person has got confused between 120km and miles. I've never heard of any car that has a timing belt good for 120,000 miles. (I can always be proved wrong)

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on if your timing belt went after the service time based on an unrecorded phone call.

You would be looking a bill inexcess of £1,000 for a dealer to fix a snapped belt!

I would call them again to see if you get the same 120K miles chat again and give them the chance to make sure they're right and if they still get it wrong I'd get their name and ask to speak to the service manager. Then I'd ask him. It'll be interesting if he gets it wrong! Relay your concerns, cos it would appear to me that these dealerships are hiring folk without any knowledge or experience (which I know is not unheard off) yet we are being charged £75/hr. Which I'm pretty sure the techs don't get more than £9/hr. Which begs the question where the outrageous garage rate goes towards?

Then I'd send an email off to Audi customer service. Apparently the emails go via Germany and that's why it take Audi UK so long to reply! Yeah the internet is so busy these days! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

i have heard service personell say 80k when they mean 80 thousand,it stems from people saying how much they earn,how much did it cost etc, MAKE sure you get it done by 80 Thousand or suffer the consequences!!! mines due next service

OK. I called another dealer and got the same thing. First said 80000 miles then when I questioned this saying there ahve been conflicting opinions on this he went and checked and came back saying 120000 moles. Called Audi CS and they said 120000.

I checked in the service log book and it states...
"Every 120000Km (80000 miles), V Belt and ribbed belt replaced (4 cyclinder 5V petrol engines). Looking at the car I see a v-belt driving the alternator and a ribbed belt (ribs running concentrically, i.e. not a toothed belt) driving the AC and other ancilleries. These must be the two belts mentioned in the service book. So no cambelt change mentioned.

"Every 180000km (115000 miles), toothed belt (i.e. not the ribbed belt mentioned above) for camshaft drive replaced for 4 cylinder 5V 1.8 engine."

So according to the service book the cambelt replacement is every 120000 miles which is what Audi say when when they check.

Well, Now that I know your engine - Funny you should say that... I've just checked back in the Erwin manual and below the section I quoted above the manual goes onto state that the toothed belt on the 4 cyl 5V 1.8litre petrol engine should be changed every 180,000km i.e. approx 111,800 miles. conversion performed my mathcad software.

Refering to Gieck Technical Formulae

1 English mile = 1760 yards =1609m

therefore 180,000/1609=111,871 miles - i.e. MathCad is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Patrick said:
It states every A4 2000 > Long service Tooth belt replacement at 120,000km = 74,600 miles (Approx)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wrong when I said every A4. The details in my previous post stand for the cars noted.

The subtle difference between my first and second post is the turbo and non turbo engines. i.e. turbo get changes at 75K miles if converting 120km to miles correctly and non turbo engines are good for 111K miles. Which is impressive!