Top Speed in 2nd Gear

hooch

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what sort of speed could/should be achieved in 2nd gear in a 2000 X S4 Avant. I'm currently hitting about 65mph without red lining albeit only just. Is this standard or has my car been modded?

It's standard I think, my 2.8Q does 60 in second.
Modding a car won't change the gear ratios, just get you there (hopefully) quicker, unless the mod was a new gearbox.

very well said andy!!!:icon_thumright:
even with over 500 ponys i never saw more than 65 in second and there is no power that far into the rev's... still its good to see someone else spanks there s4's *** too. :p so its not just me and cj then..... lol

Gear ratios wouldn't change but rev limiters might. Even a stock S4 hits 60 in second though I'm sure. Holding on to second that long really only makes sense for a 0-60 run where the gear change is of disadvantage.

On that note, it would be really good if someone with the brain the size of the planet could put up some equations showing, mathematically, exactly the best points to change gear, factoring in power at various stages of the rev range, boots etc....

Was it rover that did a race car with a turbine engine that had constant torque all the way to the 250,000 rpm redline? You would not need second gear on that!!!

ah sonic i think you were refering to the rover turbined engine in 1963 which reved to 60.000rpm not 250.000 but it only has 126 hp so my s4 would **** past it in 3rd, ha,ha so in second i suspect it probably only did 40mph as flat out it only does 140mph