Info and Experience on A4 (1.8t awd)

blackcivic

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 98+ model Audi A4 with the 5speed, quattro 1.8t. I've been researching this car for a while now, and just wanted to get a more personal opinion from Audi-sport, what options did you prefer, what are your regrets if any, and any year model preference? The car has been around for a while now, any problems with it over time? I'v heard about the front control arms going bad, any one had this problem? How are the costs of maintenance? Any colors that you've noticed that has stood up to the bad weather? Just any info or opinions would be helpful.

Oh yea,
My name is Adam, 20 years old, attending CU-boulder majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I drive a civic right now with bolt ons, hoping to get some more info on the a4 and meet some new people! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Adam

Adam,
I have a 98 A4 quattro with the tiptronic 5spd. I really like the car, yes there are a few maintenence issues, but they are fairly common among cars, things like wheel bearings, serpentine tensioner pulley, minor things. It is such a fun car to drive, I just love it! The quattro is the best thing I have ever seen in the snow. I have a Land Rover Defender 90 also, and with snow tires on, the Audi handles the snow just as good as the 'Landy.' I am amazed every time I head up skiing on one of those perfect-skiing/hell-for-driving days.
If you can afford it, I have had better luck with synthetic oil, that is the only suggestion that I would give. I have 88,000mi on mine right now and Ive had it for about a year.

Good luck with it!