Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

earlier 1.8T and big turbo

is anyone running an earlier a4 with a big turbo

i spoke to a custom code agent and they are suggesting that i need to convert to DBW ecu and loom to get a decent map to work,

changing ecu and loom is fairly straight forward, but i'm not sure about converting pedal box over so that i can run the electric throttle.

anyone have any other ideas, i take custom code as knowing there stuff, so am tending to take their advice.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    well im planning on using mega Squirt when i go big turbo you can buy the ecu in kit form for around 70 quid on the v3 board.

TopGear Stockport / Longlife Exhausts /
    www.TopGearStockport.co.uk

One Ate Tea

Status
    speak to jabbasport,

My mate has a MK2 golf with a 1.8t (agu) which is non-dbw) he had to buy a newer ecu, something to do with the file sizes needed for the big turbo remap,
    Jabbasport modified this newer ecu to work with the non-dbw engine. He will be running in excess of 400hp in the next few weeks, thats on the standard management and cable throttle

3rd Gear

Status
    thanks PhilR, sound similar to what i'm doing, i have gone down after market ecu's before, infact i have one sitting at home in a heap, for an everyday car i think they are just too comprimising, they are more about power and on an a4 would prevent a few things from working.

i'll give jabbasport a bell sometime and get their opinion.

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

Status
    Loads of the US boys are running BT kits without changing there ECU or switching over to DBW.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

3rd Gear

Status
    i think they said it would run but would idle and run a lot smoother with the later ecu, i'm aiming for a 450bhp ish figure if i can, way too much but i've done a lot of the prep work already and can always turn the boost down.

i need to get out and catch up with some of you guys as i've only had the car running a month, need some ideas and motivation.

met JCB tonight who had my old engine off me, so atleast i've met someone now.

Status
    I would run Emerald ECU which will only cost £200-£250 a remap and you could set it up for two stages boost at a touch of a button and I assume you’re talking 450bhp at the wheels and you got to be Quattro if looking for that much power.

3rd Gear

Status
    looking at 450 at flywheel, to be honest setting my sights high, so would be happy with anything over 350 at flywheel.

car is front wheel drive, i will be fitting a quaiffe diff, but this engine etc may make itself in to a quattro in the future, so yes it will be a handful in the current car.

i think i am right in saying that if i install aftermarket ecu i could start loosing functionality of the instrument cluster, diagnostics, alarm/immobiliser etc etc? i had a lumentition fitted to a bmw before and had a few problems.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by macca
    looking at 450 at flywheel, to be honest setting my sights high, so would be happy with anything over 350 at flywheel.

car is front wheel drive, i will be fitting a quaiffe diff, but this engine etc may make itself in to a quattro in the future.
    How can you turn your car into a quattro surely that would be a whole overhaul?
    Unless you mean your going to buy another car that has quattro?

FACELIFT 99.5

Current Mods: RNS-E MMI Conversion,Carbonio CAI,
    Baileys DV30 valve, Tinted windows, Xenon H.I.Ds, Bosch Aerotwins.

Planned mods: Rieger Kit,Engine Tuning, Leather sports seats.
    Accomodation when the missus kicks me out for wasting money on a car.

Status
    Well if you can sort me a good 6 speed box I will sort you the whole Quattro set-up if that’s of interest to you

3rd Gear

Status
    i was looking at maybe buying a b5.5 quattro at a later date and swapping the engines etc etc over.

was wondering how viable a quattro conversion was though on a front wheel drive, i'd imagine the bodyshell or certain major panels maybe different.

thing is, a lot of my mods so far were unplanned and unexpected situations have opend up possabilities. certainly wasn't planning the engine rebuild when i bought the car. but as the engine needed some severe work done then i though i might as well go about it the correct way.

2nd Gear

Status
    So there is such a thing as a quatrro kit?
    If so show me some links and how tos!
    IS it expensive?

Etc Etc

FACELIFT 99.5

Current Mods: RNS-E MMI Conversion,Carbonio CAI,
    Baileys DV30 valve, Tinted windows, Xenon H.I.Ds, Bosch Aerotwins.

Planned mods: Rieger Kit,Engine Tuning, Leather sports seats.
    Accomodation when the missus kicks me out for wasting money on a car.

Status
    I'm doing a RS4 upgrade so I will be swaping all my Quattro setup out hence I have a full system to sell or trade.

Status
    hmmmm doc i would been very keen i really would

and do you mean everything

i wont need the tank or exhaust just all the running gear eg hubs diffs box and shafts

Status
    I have all the RS4 set-up bar the box so yes I have every thing to do a Quattro conversion including rear subframe.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I looked into this,and as far as i can assertain the shells are different from 2wd to quattro.

Status
    im sure i can make it work if ppl can fit engines in the back of cars it shouldnt be to hard to mount running gear

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    cheers for the engine Macca, watch this space for a 2.1l IHI'd monster!

I got a 99 B5 for the specific purpose of it having a non DBW vs DBW.
    I based this on a Jabba write up some years ago, speak to Minhea at MRC, he said that you can get more out of a DBW but there was no limitation to the two ECU's.
    plenty of early 1.8t's running silly power