AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Owner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb
    Engine
    2.1l block with H beam and forged internals (stripping block as we speak thanks to Macca, diesel crank sourced, pistons and rods from US).
    AJL big port head with vernier cam sprocket (already in use on 1.8 block

Exhaust
    Equal length runner, low angle collector, TIG welded 316 stainless sch10 turbo mani mated to ported IHI VF34 (chopping 90 deg bends at the moment, flanges all cut and ready. got a cut off saw at Machine mart in the bargain section 50!)

Intake/Fuelling
    575cc injectors
    Split tube 3" downpipe mated to Miltek high flow cat (Cat/exhaust already in use at the moment) 2.75" Miltek from DP back

Forge FMIC - fitted at the moment but will be lowered, angled and baffled to smooth and direct airflow through the new s4 bumper.
    Green air cotton, filter mated to 3" induction tube, RS4 MAF
    Removal of crank case breather system, custom catch can

Suspension/Brakes
    just had the whole drivetrain Powerflex poly bushed and KW variant 3 coilovers fitted. (still tunig but soooooo much better)
    Have some 4 pot Monobloc Porsche Calipers/discs (eBay bargain!) and 345mm Merc discs to go on, looking for a donor hub to spec out the adapters. (anyone)
    haven't decided on wheels. toss up between OEM Rs6's or some BBS' both 18"

Body
    All ready to fit the OEM S4 front back and sides. front and sides need painting (regardless of what the vendor told me)
    leaving the 1.8t badge firmly on!
    Aero wipers all round (fitted)

Interior
    Standard except alcantara OEM steering wheel/bag (what a ball ache to fit), plumbed in Origin B2/portable mp3 player connection

hope to have it to MRC over the summer for a few days to remap. will be happy with 350-375bhp tbh, has to be comforatbly within limit of turbo.

Gosh you have a lot to do. Should be awesome! You got any pics of it so far?

Have you trial fitted the brake discs to see that they sit right?

Did the powerflex bushes make the car feel a lot better?
    A4 1.8T Quattro

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by satans child
    hiya billy..
    nice to see some pics finally..a couple of things tho,first of all you seat mounts look a bit high do the seats have any sideways play in them becouse if they do they will get noticed at pod and you wont be able to run it.. they check mine good and proper as mine used to move slightly, i had to get it sorted before i was alowed to run..
    secondly dont wotever you do cut the rear shelf out as this is only 2.2 kilos and the ridgeidity of your car. a rear strut brace will weigh more than that..
    ?noticed you havent removed all the dynomatting from the floors ?(21kilos)thought you would of wanted to lose the weight. ive just took the last of my loom out and f*#k me 26 kilos so ive now in total lost about 334 kilos off the s4.

coming on a bit tho
    Thanks dude

the seat are great no movment in them at all soild as a rock and thanks for the info on the rear shelf also the dyno mat will be out in the next week or so.

if i didnt mount the seats that high i wouldnt of been able to see over the dash lol im happy with the way things are coming on its just taking alot longer than i thought.

cheers

craig

TopGear Stockport / Longlife Exhausts /
    www.TopGearStockport.co.uk

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupie69uk
    Gosh you have a lot to do. Should be awesome! You got any pics of it so far?

Have you trial fitted the brake discs to see that they sit right?

Did the powerflex bushes make the car feel a lot better?
    I daren't post a pic of it at the moment, it is covered in sh1t!!
    I have just got a spare hub/carrier from a chap on RS246, so will be sorting out the bracket for the calipers shortly, in a dilema about discs, am looking at a 2nd hand pair of 360mm B5 RS4 discs but I also have a shot at some Merc discs from a SLK, bigger depth to the hat on the Merc which aids cooling and give me more room to play with inside the wheel when the caliper is fitted. They are f'ing wide!

My wheels at the moment are the original 17" 10 spoke sport models, they are a disgrace as the laquer from the previous owners' refurb is coming off.
    [Advice]Never paint and laquer wheels when you can powder coat![/Advice]
    looking at some 18" RS6's on eBay (Germany)

Suspension is awesome, best money you can spend on any car. They are a bit of a faff, I have raised the rear a bit as it did look like it was "sitting down".
    I need to get it on a ramp to adjust the "bump" setting as it is a little harsh on some roads when set to the KW recommendations. can;t say whether the bushes did anything on their own as they were done at the same time as the shocks.
    Great quality product but the access to the adjusters is a stupid design, inside the bottom of the shaft at an angle, need to be under the car with the weight off the wheels to get to it!! Top adjusters need a more drastic action required. I am drilling a hole in the front of the shell above the strut mounting. haven't figured out what to do if I need to adjust the rears...ignore it probably!!

got an 1.8t engine free from Macca, in the process of stripping it, it is going to Engine Services in Rosewell for an 83mm rebore. rods and pistons from US, looking at JE pistons and Scat h beam rods with ARP fittings all round
    not sure if I have the balls to rebuild it with all the new bits myself...would rather blame someone else when it spins a bearing shell!

best part about having a spare engine is I have a jig to test fit the exhaust manifold onto whilst I am building it, saves a lot of messing around and skinned knuckles
    that and I can drop the original back in if and when I sell it to someone who doesnt want a Big turbo monster.

3rd Gear

Status
    JCB -

i know what you mean about building engine yourself, was a scary moment when i started mine for the first time and i'd had someone build that for me!

i went to 81.5mm bore in the end with arrow h-section rods and mahle pistons (i believe), also fitted newman fast road cams.

speaking to badger5 suggested our valve train may need upgrading as well.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

3rd Gear

Status
    satans child -

have just looked at gallary, now that's what i wish i was doing, hardcore strip racer, that thing looks like it is going to be awesome. no holds barred, love it! keep us posted.

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

Status
    ive have now removed my aircon from the car im really getting there now

so if anybody needs a full set of aircon gear give me a shout but it isnt light lol

project...satans child

Status

getting there...

well things are still a bit slow due to work but were winning slowly.
    we had the car on the corner weights last week and we have done a fantastic job with the weight reduction.. the shell is now a mere 461 kilos and still with all the glass to be removed. so we estimate total weight around 950 kilos. so with a 1000bhp were laughing all the way to our record.

hows things billy?
    havent been logged in for ages so some catching up to do..

3rd Gear

Status
    my update:

pics to follow,

have fitted a THS cat bypass pipe, only to destroy the turbo to pipe gasket that came with it in a few days, so putting an new audi one back on this weekend, turbo spins up much easier now.

19 inch mille miglia imperra alloys now on, needs lowering which i will do with a v-maxx coilover kit when i get back from Le mans in june.

fitted a bleed valve as my boost was around 0.4 bar, i think a dodgy n75 valve was to blame, anyway running 0.9 - 1bar boost and runs fine, no pinking. once i have decided what turbo upgrade to use i will get car custom mapped properly. but in the mean time i have a little power to play with.

Status
    its good to see you using the THS pipe how did you find that back nut on the turbo

Ive not done much more to mine in the past month as im setting up my own tuning shop so money is tight

i hope to be fitting my big port manifold in the next few weeks

3rd Gear

Status
    big port manifold? is that an audi one or aftermarket?

well the nut behind the turbo...hmmm..

basically i hadn't managed to do it tight enough first time and the gasket with the kit self destructed in the first week.

so, this weekend i fitted an audi one and guess what, still can't get damn thing tight enough, i have tried every spanned and socket i own. but.. i didn't remove black vent pipe that goes round engine, so i am going to try removing tonight and try again, if fails i will take turbo off manifold and try, i have also made dent in cat pipe by nut a little bigger to aid fitting but this is tricky to the max.

Status
    i found grinding the nut to a 13mm worked for me

the manifold im on about is an aftermarket item with atp turbo sell in the states but im going to test it for THS before they start to sell it

3rd Gear

Status
    let me know how you get on with manifold, i'd be interested in seeing your car at some point, i have been um'ing and ar'ing about the front bumper you have for ages, i want audi quality but everyone has the s4 one, and i quite like the RS4 rep, not sure about the side vents, i might buy one then customise it a bit so to make it individual.

need to also choose a coilover kit, head says go for H&R, wallet says go for V-Maxx or Weitec. i don't need ball dropping low as i use it every day and i've done all that in the past, but i do need about 50mm lower than sport suspension with comfortable'ish ride.

Status
    i could help you out there as well as we speak im setting up a tunning shop in my area we will be selling loads of kits

myself im going with KW V3 coilovers but there not cheap one bit but i fitted a set of jamex the other week to a mates car and there where just as good as AVO coilovers.

I will let you know when we start trading

Status
    oh and here is a pic of the manifolds which im going to be testing

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    I have made some progress too.
    Stripped Macca's block that he kindly gave me, off to Engine servcies for a 83mm rebore.
    Ordered a manifold merge collector from Burns in the US...lovely bit of kit and saves me a headache of cutting and grinding tubing to match

Have the tubing and bends for the mani, jigs up nicely with out too much cutting needed, just need the collector to hold it all together for welding.
    had to buy 12m of pipe as they wanted pretty much the same money for the 3m I wanted! anyone need some 316 Stainless tube in 3", 2.5" or 1.5"!?

have written off the idea of the 95.5mm crank, very tight, requires more machining to the block (fouls oil pump seat) and the crank/rod angle isn't great on 144mm rods in a short block. A knife edged 92.8mm forged item does the job
    gets me 2008cc when done.

Think I am going with Scat rods (cheap and bulletproof) but haven't decided on pistons yet. I like Accralite pistons, they are the nuts, but being UK made they are not cheap. could save myself £2-300 getting them in the US
    going to finish the block, run it in on the stock turbo and then fit the mani and VF34.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12