Squeaking steering wheel.

Dan Gliballs

Reaction score
Hi all :)

This is a fairly recent niggle.

When lots of steering is required at slow speeds, I get some pretty bad squeaking/squealing from the wheel/surround/column.

Has anybody else experienced this on a B5,...pin-pointed or remedied it? (before I start to explore deeper) ;)

Cheers.

I've started to get a bit of a whine from that area lately too, so i'd be intrested to find this out aswell.

Reactions: Jon13s
I think you should check the power steering fluid, and top it up.

I put some S4 rims on my motor last week in place of the 16 inch sports with lower profile 225/45's on em and the ****** centre console is creaking now.

Well annoying.... :mad:

Ming Blue said:
I think you should check the power steering fluid, and top it up.

No, I specifically refer to the area within my two hands, NOT the PAS pump/belt etc under the bonnet ;)

Usually when i get annoying squeaks i just cane the area with silicone spray, not exactly a professional fix but it does occasionally work!

If it's definetely coming from the steering rack, it sounds like a leak in the rack and pinion oil seal? Not 100% sure on this however....you could try replacing the pump?

Also the chassis mounts for the steering rack might be perishing, i hope it's not the whole rack o.0

Does it do it on full lock when your standing still or just while your in motion?

check around the steeing column cover, mine was squeaking from there, i loosend the screws and wiggled it around a bit until it stopped squeaking then re-tightend the it, also sprayed around the cover joins etc with silicon spray

Might be the horn/airbag squib. Had to have mine replaced after it started making strange noises!...

I've had that issue happening on mine just a few years ago. You hear a creaking noise everytime you steer left at very low speeds. Steering right was fine. Had it fixed under warranty. Couldn't get any info from the service dept on what caused the problem.

i have the same problem on mine, i'm taking it tomorrow to a garage, i was told (by trusted mechanic) that it needs lubricating somewhere. i'll post tomorrow when i had it done .

Lol Dan good post this is bugging me too but I thought it was such a silly thing that I wasnt going to post it here.
I am glad you posted it as I would love to get rid of this little annoyance!

mine is also doing this, it sounds like the wheel is rubbing on the cowling, but if you stick your head by the pedals its actually coming from down there. i think the joint just needs greasing.

I had this on mine, I just sprayed the universal joint just above the pedals with silicone .And the squeak stopped.

just had mine fixed , cost me 45 pounds, he told me it's a common problem and you have to lubricate certain parts, but wouldnt tell me any more, sounds to me like a 5 minute job , but you have to know what to take off and where to lubricate it. i hope it won't come back after a few weeks.

hacek said:
just had mine fixed , cost me 45 pounds, he told me it's a common problem and you have to lubricate certain parts, but wouldnt tell me any more, sounds to me like a 5 minute job , but you have to know what to take off and where to lubricate it. i hope it won't come back after a few weeks.

What a con!!!!

I have a squeaking steering wheel and it's driving me nuts! Have sparayed everything down to the coupling through the firewall with silicone spray and it's still squeaking. My local garage took the cowlings and wheel off but also failed to fix !!ARGGHHH!!

had the same problem in march, took it to a garage in uxbridge and had it fixed for 45 quid, not a sound since then , so i'm happy.

mine has just started doing this too. definately coming from the steering wheel column area. Will be booking it in with Audi tomorrow i think its driving me insane

i had this too lol i lubed up the universal joint and all was ok

Mine seems to come and go now.

Most odd.

At least I'm not alone though lol

Not to sound like a J erK but I have the same problem and this thread is becoming more of a "whining" one than an actual solution...

So could the people who got it fixed tell us the Grail to stop this noises?

LOL!

I have been informed that it is common on the B5 and it normally requires the parts where the joint passes through the bulkhead; most opt to live with it. The place that said this said to drop by with it to check first so I'll do that in the next few days and let you know...

It does indeed seem to be the joint at the bulkhead - expensive part and time consuming to fit so will have to think if it's worth fixing, although I don't know how long I'll be able to put up with it...