Best dump valve?

jimya4t

Reaction score
Areet,
im thinking of buying a dump valve for my 1.8 t but ive been told there not very good for the engine? if i get a recirculating one can you hear it through the standard airbox? and which one is the best?
cheers
jimy

A recirculating valve wont sound any different to the standard one it will just be better made. because the 1.8t has a maf you will need a twin piston type,i have a bailey twin piston type on my 944 turbo which runs fine but i put a single piston type on first and the car wouldnt tick over.

I have a GFB Hybrid on my 97 1.8T. It vents 50% into the atmosphere and 50% back into the system. Sounds great and doesn't mess with the MAF.

Think most people will go for a Bailey DV30 ( I have one on mine) or the Forge equivalent. Always some on ebay..

Baileys DV30 is what I have too.
It doesnt make any noise on a standard Air intake box.
After I installed my carbonio the baileys started to kick in with the wooshing noise!

i'd really like a dump valve on my a4 also. where did u get your dumpvalve from jetspeed? and how much if u dnt mind me asking? also, anybody else out there that have a dump valve with the wooshing sound that isnt so bad for the engine? i have an induction kit which helps make a slight noise, but wud love something loud!

The hybrid ones aren't up to much in my opinion.
They barely make more noise than any other aftermarket re-circulating one. The only way to make the dump more audible is to drill your air box or fit an induction cone that is heat shield to keep the temp down. When I had an induction cone on mine the dumping noise was more audible but not anywhere near as loud as an atmospheric valve, but a lot louder than the hybrid ones with the standard box on.
My pal has a hybrid on his S3 and he is not that impressed by it. After being ragged for about 45-50 miles constantly it seemed to sound louder but no where near as loud as an atmospheric valve or as loud as mine was with an induction cone. But after the driving was relaxed for a bit the noise was back to normal.
What to bare in mind here is that the S3 is running higher levels of boost than a b5 1.8t a4 and it is quiet with the hybrid. So i would think it would be even quieter again on ours.

I got mine on ebay and I should mention that I do have a cold air intake so it is pretty loud. I'm not sure how it would sound with a stock airbox though. I paid 75 for it but it was used, it looks like there is only one on ebay right now for around 200.

Forgot to mention that you can adjust the hybrid, when I first installed it I was disappointed because it wasn't very loud but found out how to adjust it and now it sounds great. I can try to get some audio of it, is there a way to post audio on here?

You should be able to up load the audi clip to webspace then just post a link to its address.

i know everybody would have different opions but what would be the best one to go for? ive got an induction kit, will look at getting anything else to make it sound decent....

any ideas on what dv to buy? and what else to go with it?

a4singh said:
i know everybody would have different opions but what would be the best one to go for? ive got an induction kit, will look at getting anything else to make it sound decent....

any ideas on what dv to buy? and what else to go with it?

Alot of people go for Forge or Bailey dump valves. You will here a woosh when you let of the gas pedal sharply. But not as loud as a atmospheric valve would be.
If your talking about the car sounding decent other option is to fit an exhuast. I have just fitted a decat pipe to mine and you can here the turbo spooling up which is pretty cool. De-Cats arent that expensive and should free up a hp or two.