FACELIFT HEADLAMPS ON A '97 A4 AVANT?!?!?

Baker21

OEM+ A4 Avant
Reaction score
Website
www.hella.com
I have been looking into replacing the headlamps on the A4 Avant as they are both showing signs of wear.....

Not many options open as far as I can see, ideally Xenon would be the best but this is too expensive and I wish to keep as close to an OEM look as possible so I have come across these, which I have seen on other 'forum member's' cars and was wondering.........what is involved in fitting these:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-A4-FACELIFT-DE-Klarglas-Scheinwerfer-Paar_W0QQitemZ300092887409QQcategoryZ57309QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller's auction translates into the following:

These headlights can be used also for the older Baujahre (94 / 99), however then the wall plug must be changed and be removed the sheet metal in the inside of the fender, to which the turn signal is fastened, since the Facelift headlight is a complete unit with turn signal. This change is to be accomplished at very small expenditure and lends to the vehicle afterwards a completely new Optik(Facelift)

So what does he mean by the 'wall plug'? Has anyone fitted these headlamps and if so how difficult is this modification?

(I appreciate that this headlamp is a complete unit and the current headlamps are two parts)

Any help or explanation on this would be most appreciated.

He means your current headlamp connector (round shape) will have to be changed for the 'D' shaped facelift style connector, and you have to trim off a strip of excess metal around the inside edge, where your old separate indicator goes.

The job is very easy, i bought a pair of 'D' connectors from Audi, and two sizes of bullet connector needed to connect the facelift connector to my old round shape H4 headlight harness / or splice wires.

Coping saw to remove strip of metal, undercoat and touch-up kit to seal edge.

Ensure that the cut-off pattern for low beam is either switchable, or reversable if buying from Germany, otherwise you will blind oncoming traffic & fail MOT.

off topic but what did you use to translate that its a lott better translation than google.com/translate normally gives

inigoj said:
He means your current headlamp connector (round shape) will have to be changed for the 'D' shaped facelift style connector, and you have to trim off a strip of excess metal around the inside edge, where your old separate indicator goes.

The job is very easy, i bought a pair of 'D' connectors from Audi, and two sizes of bullet connector needed to connect the facelift connector to my old round shape H4 headlight harness / or splice wires.

Coping saw to remove strip of metal, undercoat and touch-up kit to seal edge.

Ensure that the cut-off pattern for low beam is either switchable, or reversable if buying from Germany, otherwise you will blind oncoming traffic & fail MOT.
Fair enough, so did you make this harness modification yourself or was it a harness that you bought pre-made?

Sorry to be rude but could you send me some pictures or post some up?

PhilR said:
off topic but what did you use to translate that its a lott better translation than google.com/translate normally gives
I work for Hella mate and we have our own internal translation tool, what with most of the 'expert's' we speak to on a day to day basis being German.......LOL!!!

Cheers Thought it looked like a really good translatio, I NEED a copy of that software lol

Im sure there are plenty of how tos on here if you search if not there are a few on Audiworld.com

Baker21, just a thought but I have seen a really nice set of angel eyes headlights (nicer than the FK ones imo) for the A4 B5 that are apparently made by Hella. I can't find them on the official Hella website (they dont seem to list any headlights for the B5), but have seen them advertised elsewhere. If you work for Hella, maybe you can get yourself a good deal?

N

PhilR said:
Cheers Thought it looked like a really good translatio, I NEED a copy of that software lol

Im sure there are plenty of how tos on here if you search if not there are a few on Audiworld.com
I would love to give you a copy buddy but the IT department will not give anything away, but as posted Babelfish is just as good to be honest....

naefeart_A4 said:
Baker21, just a thought but I have seen a really nice set of angel eyes headlights (nicer than the FK ones imo) for the A4 B5 that are apparently made by Hella. I can't find them on the official Hella website (they dont seem to list any headlights for the B5), but have seen them advertised elsewhere. If you work for Hella, maybe you can get yourself a good deal?

N
I very much doubt that mate, I have had a look into what we sell and I have not found anything apart form the front directional indicator that we make so they must have been made by someone else...