remote control engine!!

jcb

Reaction score
http://www.autostart.ca/prostart/prod-en_CT-3200.php

just spent some time in Canada and bought one of these.
most trucks and pickups have remote start so they can start them from the warmth of thier kitchen and go out to a nice warm and defrosted car.
Always thought that was a smart idea.
Car remains locked and if you do get it and try to drive it without they key it kills the engine and the imobiliser kicks in.

whilst winter is over and that aspect is not going to be much use this year anyway it also has a few other toys.

Want to get out of the car and drop off that video in blockbuster but leave the car running? no problem.
I was thinking more along the line of "turbo timer".
Been ragging it for the last 10 miles and want it to cool down with oil pressure.......? now you can!

It is fully programmable and will also start you car for a short period every week (or whatever you decide) if you go away for long periods).

£40 - "cheap as chips" - more for a laugh to see if was any fun or not.
whether i actually get round to fitting it before winter kicks in is another matter. the numer of sensors that it needs to be connected to is huge.
all for security more that anything. (door locks, brakes, hand brake, clutch, alarm, immobiliser, lights, ecu, theres a switch for the bonnet, etc etc)

Problem with this is that you have to have a key wired in to the car to overcome the immobiliser and I don't like the idea of that at all. And before you ask the US & Canada Audi's don’t have immobilisers fitted to there cars.

I dont like the idea of it, there are systems in the uk that do it too.

Insurance companies hate them if you have a manual gearbox, because of the danger of the car jumping forward or back if you have left it in gear. I remember a few years back my friend getting a Clifford alarm that had a remote start function. A couple of insurers he rang wouldn't insure a manual with remote start...

yeah, though about that, assumed they had some way of getting round the immobiliser in order to stat it in the first place.
This one has a sensor that doesn't allow a start if the car is in gear

only £40, will stick on eBay then!

If that is the case then how do turbo timers work?
Assume they have the same problems.

I had this on my supra, it was called intellistart for clifford alarms. Was quite amusing.

Cheap ones won't have the 'in gear' safety feature, which Cliffords do.
Some have a switch on to chose between Manual and Automatic transmission, which if set correctly also means it won't engage if it's left in gear...

I wouldn't bother getting a cheap one for that reason... plus as stated, if your Audi has the immobiliser chip in the key, you have to take it apart and stick it behind the steering column in order for it to work.

As far as I am aware, these systems are illegal in this country, as you are not permitted to leave your car un-attended with engine running. Same with the turbo coolers.
Si.

Doing 95 on the M1 is illegal, we still do it,
Me warming my car up on the drive doesn't really compare, but I take your point.

My biggest issue is the whole key sensor thing......that and the rats nest of wiring I would have to get into to fit the b'stard

might be ok for older cars as they have more access and easier to run all the cables

The offence of leaving you car is called "Quitting" and will land you a £30 fine...

This is more for pratts who pop out to the shops, you know, leaving it on Zig Zags with the motor running...

I do not know any copper - and I know a lot - who would give you a fine for running your intelli start, unless you were asking for one! But as Audi owners, I don't think that's the case here.

Your handbrake has to be set for it to work and if someone gets in to drivce it, something knocks the gear stick or pedals, or similar, the car will stall and therefore, there aren't any safety issues.

However, there is another rarely used law about leaving your engine running for longer than necessary. It does exist but I am unaware of it being used around my neck of the woods...

:busted_cop: