Badger5EM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Hi mileage TDIs - good or bad?

as you may have seen in my previous post, I am looking for an A4. I have started considering the TDIs and was wondering if high milegae is a problem on these. I have seen some nice clean 2000 model examples but the mileage is in excess of 100K [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

An example below
    A4 1.9 TDi 110 bhp SE Red i 5 speed Finished in Pearl Silver with Special Order Nautilus Cloth interior, Audi Concert music system with Multi-play CD, four airbags, Drivers information system, 16" ten spoke SE alloy wheels, centre front armrest, climate controlled air conditioning ,60/40 split rear seats, remote alarmed central locking with engine immobiliser , four electric windows, leather steering wheel and gear knob, 108,000 miles with full service history mostly from Hitchin Audi. One PLC owner from new - beautiful looking and driving vehicle!

Is this about right for price?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

Re: Hi mileage TDIs - good or bad?

Seems expensive to me mate. What year is that? If it's 2000 it should be the 115 not 110, as they went to pump deuse (high pressure injection along with a VNT turbo)

Diesels will do 200k if looked after with regular oil changes (every 7k)

3rd Gear

Status

Wouldn't worry too much about the engine, I'd be making sure the suspenion arms/bushes have been replaced, maybe even twice at over 100K.

My parents bought an older A4 TDi with over 100K miles on it. Aside from a few niggly faults and replacing some suspension arms, it's been fine.

You don't mention the reg, but that does seem a little on the dear side to me.

Neutral

Status

The car is supposed to be a 2000 model but registered in late 1999.

What happens to the suspension arms? Is it just that the bushes wear out? How often should they be replaced? Mark R implied that they should be done at almost every 60K miles.

4th Gear

Status

Yes that's right Cyberdude, 60k for the lower arms is about right, I tend to do them at 50k.

1st Gear

Status

I'm not at all sure of the specifics here but I read a few months back in Audi driver and article by the US author (I think?) on a heavy sludgey carbon build up problem with the tdi engine. If no one else expands on this. I will dig ou the article.