Urban Legend - Reset Lights

A4NA18

Reaction score
Hello Lads,

I have a 97 prefacelift A4 and I have the "In2" light on.
Now I Have tried EVERYTHING on this forum to get rid of this stupid light... but I cannot remove it. So Is the resetting light tech just for the facelift only? Is the procedure just a mere URBAN LEGEND for my baby from 97???

ARG!

Try looking in your cars user manual, it tells you exactly how to do it in there !

I tried this aswell I think my car just really dislike not having it done via VAG-COM.

I tried that reset light thingy and my conclusion is its pure tripe. Marmite did mine with Vag-com at the herts meet and I'm sure he said something about the button thingy only really working properly on VW's...

Don't think it works on pre-facelift B5s, something to do with the ECU not being as 'clever' as the later versions. IIRC, it's a VAGCOM only reset.

PhilR said:
Try looking in your cars user manual, it tells you exactly how to do it in there !

ORLY?? I'll try and have a look. Are you speaking of the one in the black leather cover?

Yeah the "user manual" or whatever its called you just use the stalks on the dash cluster to reset it, cant remember how you do it and dont have my manual to hand though ! But it works on mine and mine is pre facelift

Did they not change the NA 1.8 engine codes about 1997? What code's yours Byzan?

Nothing in my user manual, just says the service indicators have to be reset by Audi workshop - 1997 A4 2.8Q.

joost said:
Did they not change the NA 1.8 engine codes about 1997? What code's yours Byzan?

Mine's ADR too. Hum... It is really strange that nothing I find on this website actually works. I have checked the manual and there is no mention of anything in it either.

It is really starting to frustrate me.:Flush:

I'm really trying
SWARE!

my 96 has to have the vag-com or a sykes pickavant tool plugged in to reset the insp1 and 2 or oil lights, i tried all the reset procedures in the past but none worked! asked at audi dealers but they said they plug a machine in so thats how it must be done!!

Yep, my 97 A4 has the earlier instruments with no DIS, and i cant manually reset the service indicator either.

My manual shows the post facelift proceedure.

It's got to be something to do with the ECU then surely? A net trawl's turned nowt up unfortunately. But then alcohol may be a contributing factor on my part in that one TBH.