Monster MotorsportBadger5

Thread: Clutch Failure

Reverse Gear

Status

Clutch Failure

Hello new to this site but looks good.

I've had my '96 A4 Avant 1.8 for a year now and just before xmas i experienced a clutch problem, i started the car and couldn't get it into gear when the clutch was engaged. The car would go into gear with engine not running then with clutch engaged and car started the car lunged forward as if the clutch wasn't working.

The garage diagnosed it as clutch failure and changed the clutch, worked fine for a bit then i was getting juddering when releasing the clutch and adventually failed to go into gear and car lunged forward again like before.

Garage now said it was the dual mass flywheel at fault, this got changed earlier this week and was fine for a bit, until today........ same problem again........

clutch fails to work again. Going back to garage on monday.

I'm really tired of this now, anyone else experienced this problem because its really fustrating.

Sorry for the long post but its been a long one for me !!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    What happens to the feel of the pedal? Does it stay the same? Or change?

Reverse Gear

Status
    The feel of the pedal is exactly the same whether the clutch is working or not.
    I was worried it may be a gearbox problem but with engine switched off i can select gear and when restarting with the pedal pressed the car jumps forward as if i'm not on the clutch.

Not much more the garage can replace. But its weird that it will do it one day and not for maybe 1-2 weeks.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I know this is an old thread but in case you're viewing any time Shawsy, did you get this fixed permanently and what was the cause? ...or has anyone had the same? Mines a 97 A4 Avant SE 2.8

I'm having identical problem. Works fine one day then the next morning you turn the engine but can't select any gear. Had a new clutch put in but after 1month the same thing happened. The garage had it back in this week and checked the clutch (VW clutch) and now think it is when the clutch gets damp (!) I've got a workaround which is to put into gear with engine off, put foot on clutch pedal, turn engine on, car lurches forward but clutch is freed and working again, but who wants workarounds??!! As this sometimes happens when there's been no rain and it's had a run I can't understand the "damp" suggestion. Garage also wondered if dual mass flywheel was on it's way out but checked and said they could find no problem with that. Got car back yesterday for second time and this morning it "nearly" did the same - I got it into gear normally but felt that it was a bit reluctant!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Sounds more like the clutch hydraulics not operating correctly. Probably the slave cyliner leaking,unless the master is on the way out